Sponsored by:

Sparkplug feedback

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM
OvalPiston
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sparkplug feedback

Pulled these from my 06 CTTS. About 50k miles on them. Can I have some feedback regarding their condition? Electrodes look a bit worn. I just put new NGK Iridiums in it. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

All look pretty normal to me, but I'm really confused by your numbering system.

You have 2 x #6's. The one in the top picture may have something going on, but I think it's lighting more than anything. Electrodes may also be worn across all of them, but it's hard to measure gap from a picture.

Also, #4 (top pic) looks like it may be getting hotter than others (notice bluing just above threads, and discoloration on ceramic), but just speculation. Nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Porsche_Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, why change at 50k when it is required to be changed at 40k?
Old 07-18-2017, 03:44 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

All of them look a little dark, but could be the photos. In modern fuel injected engines, the insulator around the center electrode should be "clean" and either very light tan or colorless. The metal around the outside of the plug should range from clean to having light black powder. Your plugs look a little more "fuzzy" (thicker and lumpier black powder) than I would expect, but hard to be sure about that appearance from the photos.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:58 PM
james brown
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aaaah theres a problem, there made in France
Old 09-20-2017, 02:24 PM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These look the same as mine did when I replaced the plugs on my 09 Turbo S. In fact mine may have been a little darker becuase I was unsure of when they were last replaced. Put in the NGK iridium as well and noticed smoother acceleration through the RPM band that was about it.

Many many technicians have told me that its ok if its black on the end - as long as it ain't wet with oil replace them and keep on driving!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:42 PM
spooltime
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Your plugs look nearly new compared to the ones I just replaced in my CTTS. At my last spark plug change, just 30,000 miles ago, I decided to give the NGK Iridiums a try.

After inspecting the plugs following removal, I can state I will never use those again. All I needed to see was how much the gaps had opened up so quickly.

I replaced the Iridiums with NGK PFR7Qs. They've made a huge difference. Engine doesn't feel as ragged, and my MPGs have gone up enough for me to take notice. I think I've finally found the best plug for my CTTs.

Last edited by spooltime; 03-05-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:45 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Those plugs were toast 10k miles ago.

Spooltime - give us a report in 40,000 miles on the new plugs. Be interested in hearing how they hold up. It's sorta like new-tires vs old-tires - the new ones always feel great - they should - they're new.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 PM
spooltime
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It's sorta like new-tires vs old-tires - the new ones always feel great - they should - they're new.

Since the plugs are relatively inexpensive and my time needed to change the plugs has dramatically decreased from gained experience over four years of ownership, I might swap out the plugs at 20K intervals going forward instead of 30K intervals. I just have to see how healthy my engine remains - it has over 130K on it now. But based on the old plugs removed - other than the plugs not wearing as well as I anticipated, the overall cylinder health look perfect.

Quick Reply: Sparkplug feedback