Notices

Hub differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 01:49 PM
H2OSBLGT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub differences

Before I post my question, I want to clarify what I'm asking for so as not to offend anyone. I ask here because I intend to autocross my car when it is complete. If you take the time to read through this you may have questions like why install Porsche brakes at all. Please leave those questions for another discussion.

I have a 1974 VW Super Beetle onto which I've installed n/a 944 brakes front and rear (well, I am using front M calipers in place of the 944 calipers). My question(s) involve, more or less, the installation of Porsche brakes onto a Super Beetle in that I need to consider other Porsche parts.

The late Super Beetle and the 924/944 have incredibly similar suspensions making the brakes a bolt on affair (more or less). However, I've run into an issue I was aware about and thought I could work around, but have discovered I cannot. Due to the angle of the struts of the two cars (SB struts are more vertical that the 944), when using 944 spindles on a late Super, there is a camber issue whereby not enough negative camber can be gained. Without going into details of the nature of the SB suspension, I'll just say I used almost all of the aftermarket and factory available options and was only able to get to 0 degrees, and I would like to be able to get negative 2 to 2.5 degrees. It would be possible to mod the spindle to gain a bit more camber, but this is an untried thing, and I don't particularly want to experiment with it.

Basically, I've decided to go back to using factory spindles. The issue here is Super Beetles were never sold in the States with disc brakes. Kits are readily available to install Karmann Ghia brakes onto a Super Beetle using adapter plates that replace the factory backing plates. Another option is to mod a Porsche front hub (the early style where the rotor bolts to the back, or inside if you prefer, of the hub) with a bearing retainer that uses Beetle bearings, thus the hub can then go onto the Beetle spindle like factory. All of that to basically ask if someone can give me the dimensions of the various available hubs to determine the ideal ones to use. Obviously, I have 944 hubs, but I seem to recall seeing a discussion or web page somewhere where the difference widths hubs were discussed.

Thanks in advance
johnL (aka H2OSB, or, on here, H2OSBLGT)

Last edited by H2OSBLGT; 05-27-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Hub differences