Notices

boost controller in a 996TT( is it safe for the car?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 02:03 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question boost controller in a 996TT( is it safe for the car?)

I have been given some valuable advise in this forum on the possibilities of a Boost controller(BC) : it would increase the Hp's and REDUCE TURBO LAG if properly adjusted .

I understood that this turbo lag reduction would happen as the BC could constantly increase the boost in cruising mode to aprox. 0.3 bar and lessen the feeling of lag from there--> up. (instead of 0.0-> up).

It seems that Hallman Pro would be the most advanced BC.

Is it a safe decision for the engine ?

Which is the risk of having the engine constantly running at 0.3 bars when it seems to have been designed to work with 0.0 bars ?

Which will be the safe limits of boost considering that the goal is to reduce turbo lag. ( The turbo lag issue has been discuss in another thread ).

What is the risk of failure of the BC and, in this case, what could happen ( I am not concerned by the car stopping, I am much more concerned with an extraordinary and sudden boost increase!)

Has any one experienced it for a long time ? Has it been tested in simulated runs for hundreds of hours ?

Old 12-05-2003, 12:29 AM
Todd @ EVO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, a boost controller will offer you no gain in reducing turbo lag. The ECU controlls boost and will not make the turbos spool up quicker. One way to reduce lag is to upgrade the ecu. By increasing the timing, the engine will respond quicker, thus enabeling the turbos to spool up faster. Another upgrade to reduce lag is a free flow exhaust system. By reducing back pressure, the turbos can spool up better and generate boost sooner.

Quick Reply: boost controller in a 996TT( is it safe for the car?)