Notices

Supercharging of Knoxville

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 02:12 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy,
Funny this should come up. I was just talking to a friend of mine about supercharging yesterday. Thoroughly check your intercooler welds for pin hole leaks. He did a conversion on a track car & they found lots of small pin hole leaks in the welds of his new intercooler. They had the same problem you are describing with holding boost levels at higher RPMs. Give that a shot.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:14 AM
AndyNorris
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mark.Budgen
Hello Andy,

although I dont have a SoK kit I do have a TPC .....
Cheers, mark.

Hi Mark,

Yes, the TPC kit was my first preferance. I have a few friends here in the UK that have installed that kit with great success. The beauty of it is that you don't have to lower your CR as it is low boost and as you say, the boost is constant through the rev range.

Unfortunately for me, they do not do a conversion (or at least didn't.... and I still think this is the case ) for the 3.2. There kit works fine with the 964 and 993 and now 996. When I looked into it, I decided that it was too much hard work to invent a manifold etc. To give the SoK kit its due, you do get more punch low down..... but then again I have never been able to get everything working well and equally am unaware of any major difficulties that anyone has had with the TPC kit.....

All the best

Andy
Old 06-07-2004, 08:21 AM
AndyNorris
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JW in Texas
Andy,
Funny this should come up. I was just talking to a friend of mine about supercharging yesterday. Thoroughly check your intercooler welds for pin hole leaks. He did a conversion on a track car & they found lots of small pin hole leaks in the welds of his new intercooler. They had the same problem you are describing with holding boost levels at higher RPMs. Give that a shot.
Hi Jay,

Good call... thanks for the advice. I am in the process of getting a boost and air temperature sensor (I have telemetry in the car), which I was going to fit between the supercharger outlet and the intercooler ontake and then between the intercooler outlet andthe manifold, to try and suss out if it was boost loss or volumetric efficiency breaking down. It sounds like getting a pressure test of the intercooler would be a whole lot easier tho

All the best

Andy

Quick Reply: Supercharging of Knoxville