Notices

Info Needed on Dyno Types and Differences.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Glenn930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info Needed on Dyno Types and Differences.

Hi Guys,
I am doing my first Dyno after a rebuild with modifications.
I was not satisfied with the work and I requested the mechanic to run the car on a Dyno so we can see the actual engine performances so there is no misunderstandings.
Is there just one type of Dyno and are there any differences in the types of measurements. I want to be able to measure apples to apples when all is done. I look forward to your advice.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dynos

Originally Posted by Glenn930
Hi Guys,
I am doing my first Dyno after a rebuild with modifications.
I was not satisfied with the work and I requested the mechanic to run the car on a Dyno so we can see the actual engine performances so there is no misunderstandings.
Is there just one type of Dyno and are there any differences in the types of measurements. I want to be able to measure apples to apples when all is done. I look forward to your advice.
Thanks
No expert but will chime in.

More than 1 type of chassis dyno, DynoJet uses a large roller for inertial readings. You strap the car to the rollers and start it and then put it in gear and accelerate from idle to redline and measure the time it takes to rotate the measured mass (simplified)

Others are steady state and measure the power being produced at different RPM using electical or hydraulic systems as the calibrated measuring medium, (more complicated).

There are also several different manufacturers of each type to complicate it more :^)
More info here (Google is your friend):
http://wotid.com/dyno/content/view/19/38/

Greg
Old 10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

is your car turbo or nA? do you plan on setting the piston rings on the dyno and breaking in the rings properly? if your car is turbo, you need a "loaded" dyno for proper tuning. Do a search for loaded vs, standard dyno's.

Quick Reply: Info Needed on Dyno Types and Differences.