Notices

Synch Rev matching

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:31 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synch Rev matching

Does anyone know of a system/modification which would enable an easy rev match for a manual 996 without the need for heel and toe?

- Concept would be to press a button on the stick which would bring the engine revs to a certain level, say 4-5k before you re-engage the lower gear.

- Should be pretty straighforward, just need to check that the clutch is disengaged and send signal to ECU (I am simplifying obviously - my indy told me it was not that easy)

- Bonus feature would be for a chip to read the speed, the new gear, etc. and calculate the actual RPM to rev match precisely.
Apparenty Nissan has a Synchro Rev Match feature which seems to be pretty close to this.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech_dept

Thanks a bunch for the leads.

FM

PS: please spare me the "learn heel and toe" line.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Give James a call at GMG in Costa Mesa CA, some of the 997 cups have an auto blipper. Dont know if it would work with a 996, but it is a place to start.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

There's a discussion in the Cup Car forum about the Manthey version of this. I think it's only for sequential boxes but it would be worth exploring.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the Manthey device is for the sequentials. You might want to call Gordon Friedman at Autometrics Motorsports. I believe he fabbed something for a 996 Cup client.

I did see a 944 with a home made blipping device at the Glen. Actually, it was quite well done and did not look "home made" in the slightest. Tyler Comat had it his blue 944, if anyone here knows him. I think he's a regular in NASA. It consisted of a trigger/lever on the shift lever that acutuated a pump, which, I guess, blipped the throttle. Very trick!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mklaskin, thank you for putting our car and blipper system in the same post as the well know professionals. Tyler my son just made me aware of this thread as I focus on the racing forum.

Our system has no pump. The system is completely pneumatic. It is comprised of an air cylinder with a tire type valve for refilling, a blow off valve for safety, a manual valve, an adjustable air pressure regulator, all of which are mounted at the base of the roll cage at the main hoop. On the tunnel near the shifter is a quick-off toggle in case of a malfunction, which has never happened. The activation is by a valve lever mounted on the shifter and activated by the drivers index finger. The throttle cable is pulled by a small cylinder with a pull rod attached. This system has no effect on the standard gas pedal to throttle control system so that is the system were ever to fail the driver could just hell and toe in the conventional manner.

I developed this system which is PCA approved for any and all drivers because I have a fused ankle as a result of an old motorcycle racing incident. It has no pump, electronics, electrics or performance advantage over a non injured good racing driver like Tyler who does not use the system.

Bill

Quick Reply: Synch Rev matching