Notices

996 CAI Installed - Initial Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
spinsall4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 CAI Installed - Initial Feedback

So let me start by saying that I am extremely skeptical about CAI/filter derived performance gains of any kind. Some seem to work, others don’t at all. There is so much banter on the boards over component quality, CEL triggers, engine contamination, MAF failures, etc. that its hard to make sense of it. Let alone, the marketing magic created by the manufacturers claiming overly optimistic power gains. To that, I had shied away from installing a CAI until this past weekend. I finally broke down and installed Fabspeed’s CAI (big red tube and cap) using a brand new stock filter element. I guess my curiosity got the better of me and I needed to know if the darn thing worked or not. As background, I own a triple black, 1999 996 Cab with 115K miles. The car is stock other than a full suspension upgrade and a set of Fabspeed Mufflers. I have only driven the car about 150 miles but I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exhaust was already deep so the “sound” upgrade people discuss is limited. It’s there, but it’s not as pronounced. There does seem to be a slight improvement in thrust based on the ol’ butt dyno which I was not expecting. The most noticeable change is the power delivery. The throttle response is noticeably improved right out of the gate. Giving the relatively low price point, this was money well spent. Hope this helps. Happy motoring folks. See everyone at Laguna for the ALMS finals.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 AM
crug75hid
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was a great review overall. but unfortunately we we were not able to meet! lol
and just 150miles is to low on reading. seems a new one

Quick Reply: 996 CAI Installed - Initial Feedback