944S a bit more quicker

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Niko
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S a bit more quicker

Hello to everybody!

I have a 944S from '87 2.5L, and i would like to make it a bit more quicker, so i don't know which trick it has or what I have to do. If someone can tell me what can i do it wuold be wonderfull
Old 10-10-2008, 07:45 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to cross post to the 944 section.

You will learn that the 944 series cars (except the turbo) are very hard to get more hp out of them, and certainly not on the cheap.

The best advise is to make sure all maintenance is up to date, then join PCA and/or SCCA and get out and learn to drive it better! Enjouy
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Niko
2nd Gear

Ok , thank you.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM
rmconner80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the cheapest HP gain will be to run a 944SMax chip in your car with 93 octane gas.

Independent of driving ability (a huge factor as pointed out above) - "quicker" means

1) more HP
2) less weight

It's probably cheaper (but can still be expensive) to get a faster 944S by removing weight.

-Barely fill your windshield washer reservoir (save 10+ lbs)
-Delete cruise control, rear cargo cover, rear wiper (5+ lbs)
-AC Delete (30 lbs?)
-Lightweight battery (30 lbs)
-Spare / toolkit removal (30-40 lbs)
-Race seats (50+ lbs)
-Rear seat delete (???)
-Cabin sound insulation (???)

With the above you could perhaps shed 200+ lbs.

Other lightening options exist but they are increasingly extreme.

As far as performance of the engine, doing a rebuild or top end freshening would probably be the best bang for the buck. Get the engine back to "new" specs and trim.

Beyond that, it's a slippery slope. You could get a more aggressive set of cams or mill the head to up the compression slightly. You could get performance headers or exhaust systems. You could employ something like Maxtronic and spend a hundred hours and thousands of dollars on the dyno developing and tuning your own DME fuel maps to exploit the upgrades.

All of this is going to potentially cost in excess of ten thousand dollars and will lower gas mileage and potentially cause problems passing emissions tests, may provide questionable performance gains to begin with, and (except for freshening the engine) place you firmly in "modified" classes against much more extreme cars for almost any autox or track event.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:15 AM
vonGyver
1st Gear

Niko, I never bench marked the difference, but I noticed a fair difference when I dropped in a K&N filter into my '88 944S. It had better air flow and definitely pulled a little harder and revs easier.

Quick Reply: 944S a bit more quicker