Notices

no holds barred early 911 (912) suspension/brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:07 AM
cbramey
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no holds barred early 911 (912) suspension/brakes?

OK, use will be street, autocross, track... looking for detailed recommendations (vendors, parts, ideas)

within the following research results and guidelines:

body will be 1967, so it is a SWB car;

roughly 2100 pounds

Goals: reasonable tire (not huge, probably 6-8 inches wide)

precise, quick ratio steering with minimal bump steer - I know this probably means an aftermarket rack; any ideas?

lightest possible unsprung weight-

will aluminum bananas fit or should I go with a more custom fabbed approach.... do I need to relocate pickup points?

anyone making stock early size rotors in aluminum hats with light aluminum calipers? I wont need huge brakes at that weight, and dont want to be forced into 17" plus rims

good camber curves, I presume dropped spindles - recommendations?

aftermarket control arms? recs?

probably coilovers, though tire fitment may be an issue... how much inner fender to you lose by doing coilovers?

stiff chassis, will be a welded cage tying strut towers into it

the goal is to be nimble and precise, not too stiff, lots of rough tracks, good suspension response.

PS; the car will have LOTS of power... fun! Love to hear your thoughts.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd need a LOT more detailed information including specific wheel/tire sizes & type, engine displacement and HP to offer accurate information, but here's a guideline:

OEM steering rack; its PLENTY fast and the quickest one they made. You'll need a good bump steer kit such as Elephant Racing's.

Fuchs wheels (light & strong) in the appropriate width's.

Aluminum trailing arms do not work on the SWB cars unless major modifications are done to the torsion bar tube; thats not for the faint of heart.

Carrera calipers and rotors for a cheap brake upgrade worthy for any street car. Track cars need something bigger depending on tires and engine package. There are rotors using alloy hats but they do not fit an S/M, SC, or Carrera caliper setup.

Improved camber curves require some extensive A-arm modifications. Dropped spindles RAISE the car: raised spindles, OTOH lowers the car without squeezing suspension travel and improves roll center location.

There are aftermarket from suspensions such as ERP 935 ones, but that precludes using torsion bars and the resulting coilovers requires a full roll cage that connects and triangulates all of the suspension pickup points.

Coilovers are possible and if its done right, you'll not have a rubbing problem,..

IMHO, you need to decide if this will be strictly a street car, street/track car, or race car as the suspension configuration is quite different for all three "missions".

Sounds like a lot of fun if its all done properly,....
Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Let us help you spend your money.

Quick Reply: no holds barred early 911 (912) suspension/brakes?