Notices

Los Angeles Dismantlers = LA Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:54 PM
jostein
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Los Angeles Dismantlers = LA Porsche

In early August of 2007 I searched Ebay for “Porsche 993 Turbo Engine” and found an engine at a company located in Los Angeles called Los Angeles Dismantlers (LAD), also called LA Porsche. Following an e-mail to the company I was requested to contact them directly by telephone and bypass Ebay. They told me that it was better to avoid using Ebay, and instead deal directly with LAD. We agreed that they would provide all required parts for a 993 C2 conversion to a 993 Turbo. LAD claimed that their quality was excellent and that they had verified and tested the engine and all parts. Basically I trusted the company to deliver what they said and went ahead and wire transferred a total of US$23 600 to LAD. They said they would ship the engine during the following days, but it was not until 2 weeks later and numerous calls from me that they actually shipped the engine. On the 8 of October the engine was delivered in Norway to Autotuning, a reputable RUF workshop not far from Oslo. Following the inspection of the engine it became clear that the engine was in a poor condition and not correctly assembled. It seemed as if the former owner had problems getting the engine to run and tried everything himself before he gave up. Following further investigations it turned out that both turbos were damaged to a condition where both had to have major rebuild. The extra cost in order to get the engine up to a reasonable condition cost me an additional 7000 Euro, or US$17000.
I called and wrote emails to LAD and informed about the situation, but they refused to take responsibility.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 PM
laporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TO ANYONE READING THIS, DON'T FORGET THERE ARE 2 SIDES TO EVERY STORY! I won't even bother going into all the details about Jostein's purchase but he basically wants us to pay for an engine overhaul that he told us he was going to do before he even purchased from us! He sent the engine to RUF, what do you think they are going to do, look at it and push it into the corner? We sent him a very good engine and he knows it. He threatened if we didn't send him MORE free parts he'd talk trash about us here. Wow, we're shaking in our boots. We know the shop who is doing the work and know more than he thinks we know. I started searching through posts, some good, some bad. Most that call want perfect for next to nothing. We have been in business since the 80's and aren't going anywhere. We have expanded 10 times over and continue to grow every year. We are a family owned business, we have a great team, we stand behind our product and do our best to provide the best service we can. It costs a lot of money to buy these cars, store them and dismantler them piece by piece, no we're not giving anything away for free. We're not perfect and we admit it. Are all of you and the companies you work for so perfect? If you have a problem with a previous order and you want to address a situation, let me know I'm here to listen.
Sara
VP
818 POR-SCHE (767-7243)
http://911pcar.com
Old 03-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Balazs 911
Track Day

I am not sure what to say here but a professional service orientated company would not use the phrase "Wow, we're shaking in our boots."

There must be better ways of solving a problem....
Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 PM
TTJunkie

Default I feel your pain

Jostein:

I brought my 993TT to LA Porsche Dismantlers after agreeing upon $7K for parts and $10K for repairs to be completed in 2-3 weeks. One year later I received the car in pieces. It cost me $19K just to put it back together. It was by far the worst business experience I have ever had.
Sara at 911pcar.com should be ashamed to represent such a disreputable and dishonest employer. I wonder how much she gets paid to marginalize our suffering?

Ric Vieler
Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 PM
sonny1
Banned

Its a Junk Yard! what do you expect? excellence? and taking a car to be repaired at a Junk Yard? give me a break, they are good taking cars apart not in putting them together, still, I feel your pain. .
Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by laporsche
TO ANYONE READING THIS, DON'T FORGET THERE ARE 2 SIDES TO EVERY STORY! I won't even bother going into all the details about Jostein's purchase but he basically wants us to pay for an engine overhaul that he told us he was going to do before he even purchased from us! He sent the engine to RUF, what do you think they are going to do, look at it and push it into the corner? We sent him a very good engine and he knows it. He threatened if we didn't send him MORE free parts he'd talk trash about us here. Wow, we're shaking in our boots. We know the shop who is doing the work and know more than he thinks we know. I started searching through posts, some good, some bad. Most that call want perfect for next to nothing. We have been in business since the 80's and aren't going anywhere. We have expanded 10 times over and continue to grow every year. We are a family owned business, we have a great team, we stand behind our product and do our best to provide the best service we can. It costs a lot of money to buy these cars, store them and dismantler them piece by piece, no we're not giving anything away for free. We're not perfect and we admit it. Are all of you and the companies you work for so perfect? If you have a problem with a previous order and you want to address a situation, let me know I'm here to listen.
Sara
VP
818 POR-SCHE (767-7243)
http://911pcar.com
Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
TTJunkie

Default I'll call your bluff!

OK Sara:
If you're such a concerned employee, working for a customer friendly employer,
please look into the 1996 Porsche 993 turbo collision repair performed about four years ago. Please justify the year it took to return my vehicle. Please justify the charges even though the vehicle was returned in pieces. I will praise Los Angles Dismantlers from the highest rooftop should you ever justify it. I've actually seen several items from you on eBay, including a really nice pair of savanna leather 996 racing seats that I desperately wanted to buy, but skipped because of the impression you've left with me. Now's your chance!
Ric :-)
Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree there is always two sides to a story, but the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 AM
I love this car!
7th Gear

"Following an e-mail to the company I was requested to contact them directly by telephone and bypass Ebay. They told me that it was better to avoid using Ebay, and instead deal directly with LAD"
I responded to one otheir ebay auctions and was told the same. Chose not to buy from them for that reason. If I use a service, I expect to pay for it. That's how I want to be treated. Any legitimate business, that regularly uses another's services should WANT to pay for it. One that finds ways to side-step paying for it, is a window looking into how they view other aspects of conducting their business. I saw their use of ebay to solicit new business, but reluctance to pay for that service as a "red flag".
Old 08-09-2008, 02:04 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My experience with them was not as expensive...but not a happy one either.

About 6 months ago they had many "S" exaust tips for 997 at great prices.
I called and gave them my credit card and all the info. I kept waiting, waiting, and waiting....not exaust tips. Then I called and they told me they had sold most to some other vender...only leaving a few less diserable ones left. No body remembered my order nor my name....at least they didn't charge my credit card. Then, I read on a site that Porsche had a recall for this tips a few years ago for poor welding....made me wonder where all those exaust tips ended up. Sorry, but I don't trust these people and if you buy something go in person to inspect!
abe
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Gradus Futura
Instructor

Default Business Ethic

I have personally had great experiences with them. I do believe there is two sides to the story. Still either way I hate to say it but, the customer is always right. As a business owner myself, I would be, "shaking in your boots". A great portion of business relies on referrals and returning customers. In my opinion I would like to see a business make an unhappy customer happy. Maybe they could find out what to do to make them clear their opinions from this thread. Free stuff or a discount is sometimes necessary to make more money... But that's my opinion. "I wish LA porsche the best and hope the customers and them can find some kind of equal ground".

Last edited by Gradus Futura; 11-11-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Yikes !
Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Utter silence from LAD it seems.....
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 PM
terag
1st Gear

I am currently dealing with them on a hard top.....I will update you guys on my experience soon. So far I have been sent the wrong hard top and the packaging of the one sent was horrible.

Lets see if they can get it right.

Quick Reply: Los Angeles Dismantlers = LA Porsche