Notices

source for cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM
billlynes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default source for cylinders

Looking for a source for Aluminum Fin-Iron Sleeved Cylinders.

JB Racing makes these but it looks like 2008 delivery.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Bill, IMHO, there are only 3 cylinder manufactors that you need to think about.... One as factory Maule parts, the next is LN engineering "Nickies", both of which are Al finned and lined.... The last is JB racing, whos product is Iron lined and Al finned.
I have a set of JB racing Cyl on my motor now. In fact, Mike Bruns at JB racing had completed all of the machine work on my 3.3L turbo( which we bumped up to 3.6L, with 98MM Cyl's and stroking the crank to 78.8mm). I have talked to both Mike and Jim numerous times abnd have also been by their shop. They are a first class shop and have a first class product. I also had to wait an extra 3 to 4 months on my cylinders, as they were waiting to get some more round stock to make more cylinders.
I also have a friend (donE on this site), who also has the cylinders. He really likes them as well. I choose the cylinders beacuse of 4 reasons:
1.) Running an iron cylinder would open us up to a host of rings and from plenty of manufactures.
2.) I felt that the iron cylinder would hold up better to pressure and heat in a turbo application.
3.) I also felt that the iron lined cyl would stay round longer than turning "egg shaped".
4.) I wanted to stay with one company as much as possible for all of my parts. That way if something did go wrong, I dont have 3 or 4 companies blaming the other for the part failure.

With that being said, I still love the "nickies" and would choose them in a different motor (for me). I also spent some time on the phone with Charles Navarro of LN Engineering, who was also very, very helpful. A super nice guy, who also spoke highly of JB's product. The prices are very close between the two products, so in the end, I chose JB Racing.... Am I happy, Yes, I am....

BUT, I would NEVER, EVER even look at the cylinders from China or other places. If I was buliding a beetle motor...than yes, go for it. But in my opinion, these motors are just too damn expensive to trust such a vital part just beacuse of cost.... my .02 cents.......
Old 11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
billlynes
Instructor

Turbobrat930

Thanks for the info. looks like I will wait on JB Racing.

I had not planned to open up the Nickie debate ... but since you did

My mechanic claims the Nickies don't hold up as well as the iron lined.

Mabe three seasons in a race engine.

Also different ring package with a slight loss of power.

The LN Engineering site info is convincing and I understand they are well respected.

Jake Raby uses them on type 4 engines and gets good results.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

Your mechanic probably doesn't have experience with Nickies, but rather with aluminum cylinders in general. The material we use for our cylinders is 66% stronger than factory Mahle cylinders and is quite a bit more ductile too, so they can handle the pounding and abuse of high compression/boost applications without any trouble. The cylinders I have made for Pat Williams for his high boost engines do just fine; there are many others too, he's just one example. Although incomplete, just look at the list of shops that use Nickies. Those who have chosen not to use Nickies is more because they don't like JE Pistons and prefer to use only OE Mahle pistons.

As far as ring compatibility, I have choices other than Goetze rings that are proven on nikasil plating, if you prefer a not to use an ultra-low tension cast iron ring.

I service my own product and I can tell you, I rarely get a set of Nickies back for reconditioning unless there is some other catastrophic failure in the engine. Usually a light hone .0002" is all that might be needed for a refresh if they are honed at all.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
billlynes
Instructor

Charles,

These are for a long stroke 2.5L 86.7MM

What delivery time would I be looking at?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

2-3 weeks normally, but can do it in about 5 days if there is a rush.

Quick Reply: source for cylinders