Clewett Engineering conversion kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Mike491
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clewett Engineering conversion kits

Hello,

Has anyone had first hand experience of either the 9007.01 or 9004.03 kits for 3.2 Carrera? The 9007 is the TEC engine management kit and the 9004 adds throttle bodies to the first, or so its appears.

Particularly interested in before and after engine output figures if available and also whether the kits provided all that was required to complet then work properly.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
por29
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I did one a few years ago. We did use the Electromotive tech that Clewitt sells and the TMW throttles . I bought them direct. The engine was a 3.2 brought out to 3.4 We used very high comp pistons along with big cams and we made 370 HP.

pm me if you need more info
Old 06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Mike - I havent but i'm getting in touch - maybe if we get two shipped over we can have a discount
Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Mike491
2nd Gear

hello,

Thanks for the response. Have pm'd, as suggested.

Last edited by Mike491; 06-18-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Confusion
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

emails i got...

Matt,

We have several people with first hand experience with the systems you see in the catalog. I don't have what I would call good Apples to Apples comparisons for stock engines. Porsche does such a nice job on the tuning on all there systems, I typically don't recommend changing to our system unless the engine has been modified and the DME can no longer support the engine. Sure there is more power available for a stock engine, but it can be had for much less money. Just changing engine management or engine tuning and nothing else, we expect to see a 5% to 10% improvement in HP. This is basically what we see on any engine going from an emission control tune to a performance engine tune.

The most important thing to remember is that the engine management can only optimize what ever the engine is capable of producing. It's the combination of pieces and tuning them as a system that is important in making power. We have seen a number of cases where an exhaust system has caused a 20-30 HP loss. On a turbo we have seen a 45 HP loss from poor injectors. I don't mean to say that the engine management is not important, just that there are other factors equally important to the engine management system. It all has to work together. Certainly the engine management is an important part of the system.

Our most common conversion for a 3.2 is 9007-using the stock manifold with a change of cams, compression and exhaust. It is not uncommon to see a very strong street engine at 260-280 HP.

The individual throttle kits provide more air and allow much more cam than the stock manifold, thus more HP. We recommend these primarily for race engines where the cams and Carrera manifold is no longer fun to drive on the street. We expect these engines to run between 300-330 HP and many are street driven.

I hope this helps you make a decision on how you build your engine.

Regards,

Richard Clewett

so i sent:
At the moment I am running 250 bhp (according to dyno), this is a chip of unknown origin, exhaust (final box only - rest standard) air filter with cold feed (i'd prefer stock box but dont have one) and thats it... I know the inlet manifold is a restriction, as is the air flap sensor, hence the thought of TB's....

I do plan on rebuilding the engine in the future, just not yet.... so this would be a good option for now, then when i do rebuild, i can go for cams, higher comp and then just simply remap....

Its all so diffcult deciding what to do!

reply:

It sounds like the chip you are using is giving you the added timing and fuel. Stock form the engine is only about 230.

The best way to decide on a final goal is to determine how much HP you want or need, and then build to that goal. If you figure a nice race engine is about 100 HP/liter that would be 320 HP +/- a little, N/A. This will likely be to spirited for street driving in traffic.

Richard Clewett

me:

its only a sunny day and weekend car anyway, so thats not really a problem.... a strong 280-290 would be ok.... I like the idea of a turbo motor or a supercharger, but i cant be doing with all the added problems...

Is there a price on your site for just the throttle body kit? i could use that with an ECU I can source \ map over here....

(goes to look on website.... )

richard:

Matthew,

On the web site catalog, under engine management is a list of kits, prices and options. Our throttle body kit 9004-03 is the bulk of the kit. You would also need a crank trigger adapter 9101-10 (I assume w A/C) and spark plug wires 9192-22. With individual throttles, we highly recommend sequential fuel injection when using individual throttles. This cam sync adapter up-grade includes the adapter and sensor. The wide band EGO sensor is also an excellent up-grade if you are doing your own tuning.

Many of our clients will do their own tuning with our starting program and support which is included when the system is purchased from us. There is an electromotive dealer in UK, TrackTEC Tuning - Exeter, Devon - ( 507) 269-0327. I was not able to get their web site but you may be able to reach them by phone. You may want to consider them if you are having the system installed by a shop or need product support.

Regards,

Richard Clewett
Old 06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have their serpentine kit on my 993 tt. it's great, no issues and looks pretty too !

Quick Reply: Clewett Engineering conversion kits