Notices

Crankshaft Balancing – Expert Advice Urgently Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:05 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Balancing – Expert Advice Urgently Needed

I have also posted on the 993 & 964 boards. Sorry for the multiple posting but I am desperate. I have replaced the original connecting rods with Carrillo rods. The card which came with the Carrillos gives the following details Weight: Total: 540, Rotating: 380, Reciprocating: 160. Being a 1996 C2, my original rods were I understand the same as those fitted to the 993 Turbo and RS. I do not have weights for these rods. The photo shows both one of my new Carrillos and one of my original rods. I have also changed the pistons with Ninemeister 102mm pistons.

My engine is now fully assembled and is waiting to be re-installed in my car, so I need to act fast if I am going to rebalance.

What I desperately need expert guidance on is whether there is a real need to have the crankshaft fitted with the Carrillos rebalanced. To do this I would have to have the engine disassembled, and I am told that there is no one who can do balancing in Hong Kong and so the crankshaft and rods would have to be sent to the States or Europe. This would be a costly exercise in money, time and frustration. Putting the engine on a dyno is not an option because there are no dynos here. My feeling is that I cannot take the risk of the balance being even a little out particularly since I intend to keep this car for as long as I can. However, mechanics is not my area of expertise so I would dearly love to hear from the experts on the Board.

Thanks,
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2007, 04:21 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an expert, but I stayed at a hotel in Kowloon once upon a time.

Did the Carillo spec sheet provide the weight of each con rod? Were the specs all the same (total, rotating and reciprocating)? If so, you should be fine. Assuming the crank is within spec, the horizontally opposed six relies on opposing connecting rods and piston assemblies to balance each other.

Did your engine rebuilder mention this?

Sherwood
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 PM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sherwood I understand what your saying (except maybe about your Kowloon expertise!) and am now relaxed. The Carrillo spec sheet just gives one weight to cover all the rods. I have been told that the difference in weights between my Carrillos should be very small. There is a little bit of a language difference between me and my engine builder and he did not mention this. If he had, I would not have been in such a flap.

Thanks,
Old 05-19-2007, 02:00 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..."but I stayed at a hotel in Kowloon once upon a time."

Chris,
Sorry, I made reference to a TV ad. playing in the states. The premise behind the TV spots is that a so-called "expert" weighs in among a group of his peers or those dependent on his advice for their lives. Turns out, this person's only qualifications is having stayed at a certain hotel. Cute, but maybe loses something in my description.

BTW, I'm glad you're stress-relieved. You're now free to spin the engine to 9k. Remember where I stayed?

Sherwood

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Balancing – Expert Advice Urgently Needed