Notices

Advice - Body Panels, welders, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Chad M 11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice - Body Panels, welders, etc.

posted also on 911 board

I have just recently started striping my 75 911 for restoration / customization (this is no fun). I am looking forward to finishing with all these old junk parts and rusty screw heads and getting to the point where a can bolt on the new stuff.

I am interested in possibly a wide-body RSR look or something similar and I am interested in advice on fiberglass -vs- metal body panels and good sources for each. I have posted before that I am not a purist and that I want this car to be dressed for track use with rollcage, suspension, etc but also to be a mean street car.

Also if anyone has any recommendations on an economical small wire welder that will run on a 110 outlet I am all ears

Thanks
Old 04-25-2003, 06:28 PM
rfuerst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Chad,I am not a welding expert but I believe you will get better results with a MIG welder with shielding gas rather than a wire feed welder with flux wire,I have not used either but have been contemplating the purchase for a while now.In my opinion if you get a MIG welder with 110-150 amps that runs on either 110v or 220v you will be able to produce good quality welds with some practice.Good luck.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Chad: I'm not an expert with welding but I did just finish a rust restoration project on my '70 911. This was my first real welding project. I bought a small (I think it was the smallest one in the product line) Miller Mig welder. This welder is designed to run either flux wire or shielding gas (CO2) I started the project with the flux wire that came with the welder. After a few hours, I got tired of the mess the flux left behind that had to be cleaned off and purchased a bottle of CO2 Shielding gas. CO2 really works great, the welding went much faster and was definately less work to clean up. The downside to the welder I bought is the Cycle time is low. the Welder can only be used for 20minutes for each hour so just when I got on a roll, I'd have to stop to allow the welder to cool down. As I remember, I paid around $400 at a welding specialty store and it came with the hose, valve and guage for the shielding gas. I paid $30 for a CO2 tank at a swap meet. The salesman at the welding shop threw in a helmet/goggle and a pr. of welder's gloves with the welder purchase. I've seen a Lincoln Welder that looks almost identical at a Home Depot store since and they were selling it for $299 but It didn't include the helmet/goggles or the gloves.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Chad M 11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I actually have a few good friends and customers that are fabricators & mechanics on NASCAR teams that I am sure will help if I need it. Most of them have project cars or there own racecars that i have "helped" with in the past. Mostly they hand me 2000 grit sand paper or have me drill out rivots. The thing is, I consider myself pretty handy next to the average Joe and would like to get as far along as I can with the car before I start calling in favors. I want them to see the thing progress and ask who did it ---I did it! You welded on the fenders? ---yep!

Thanks for the info and if I can help anybody let me know. My expertise is graphics, our company makes motorsports graphics for Nascar, NHRA, Sprints etc. If anyone needs anything let me know and i can work it for wholesale.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:41 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Chad M 11:
<strong>My expertise is graphics, our company makes motorsports graphics for Nascar, NHRA, Sprints etc. If anyone needs anything let me know and i can work it for wholesale.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If you make my car look like Jeff Gordons, will it be just as fast?

I've thought about a welder also, as I do all my own work and need one every so often. It's a drag to take a small part/piece/car to get something welded somewhere. And I've paid others enough now to have paid for one.

Jim

Quick Reply: Advice - Body Panels, welders, etc.