Notices

boost spring install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 02:04 PM
930slant
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post boost spring install

In anticipation of all kinds of bad things happening to my 88 930, I want to install a less agressive boost spring. The car has an upgraded B&B intercooler, exhaust system, and an additional injector to provide more fuel. The directions that came with the new 1.0 spring indicate that it can be a rather dangerous job, requiring two people. I am fairly adept at working on cars but if it is a danger I would just as soon leave it to a shop. Your thoughts??
Old 08-18-2002, 10:38 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
When you bought your 1 bar spring, did you tell them your upgrades? I bought a Tial wastegate with a 1 bar spring through a vendor to go on my '87 911 Turbo with a stock exhaust and a B&B muffler. After I installed it, all I got was .8 bar no matter what I tried!

I called Tial and found out that with a stock exhaust, your supposed to have 2 springs in the wastegate. I had one in mine. They sent another smaller spring and all is well. Because a B&B or GHL exhaust is so much more efficient and direct to the turbo, a .8 bar spring is used achieve 1 bar. Sounds odd, but it's true, as I found out when I installed a new GHL to go with my gutted B&B muffler. I was putting out like 1.2 bar until I took the smaller spring back out.

Now to the install question. If you have a drill press that would be ideal. I didn't have one, so I installed the wastegate in a vice and used two bar clamps made by Vice-Grip (available at Home Depot or Lowes)and put one each side. I clamped down on the top and bottom until it was tight, then removed the allen bolts. Then I slowly released the top a little on each side until it was off. The install is the reverse, except that you need to be careful not to pinch the diaphragm, causing a leak. I don't think you need two people to do the job IMHO.

Regards,
Jim
Old 08-19-2002, 01:24 PM
930slant
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. I'll check out what you said before installing the spring.

Quick Reply: boost spring install