Notices

Electromotive opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Boras
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Electromotive opinion needed

For those of you that use electromotive igntions in your motors.
1. How reliable are they, ever needed service?
2. How well do they work? I have heard stories of plug-fouling and coil packs going bad, but only internet hearsay.
3. For twin plug, any thoughts on better systems? Worse systems?

Thanks

Boras
Old 11-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Boras
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve Weiner at Rennsport.

You seem to recommend the 964 type distributor over the Electromotive. I read some previous posts and they were informative.

I am wondering about the belt driven distributors though. Are they damaged if the break? If they break, I imagine this could destroy a high compression motor due to random firing of the second distributor.

Wouldn't a fouling plug be a better alternative to detonation and motor damage?
Old 11-13-2002, 04:20 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Boras:
<strong>Steve Weiner at Rennsport.

You seem to recommend the 964 type distributor over the Electromotive. I read some previous posts and they were informative.

I am wondering about the belt driven distributors though. Are they damaged if the break? If they break, I imagine this could destroy a high compression motor due to random firing of the second distributor.

Wouldn't a fouling plug be a better alternative to detonation and motor damage?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Boras:

IMHO, the 3.6 distributors are damned reliable as long as one has the Factory vent kit and the belt is changed proactively every 50-60K miles. To me that's very good,...

Like anything else, one has to pay attention to how the motor runs and sounds,...

I much prefer that setup (with MSD's) to the vast majority of crank-fired inductive ignitions like Electromotive.

Quick Reply: Electromotive opinion needed