Notices

smart racing shift coupler

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 08:12 PM
tyler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post smart racing shift coupler

i saw this advertized a few places in pano..any one had any luck this thise 200 dollar product for their 915 tranny??

thanks tyler
Old 08-29-2001, 09:49 PM
Howard
Racer

I don't have any experience with this part but I'm sure it will remove most play, but not all play in the shift linkage. I just replaced the OEM bushings with indentical parts and it works great. The shift coupler has a plastic bushing, and also, if you remove the housing at the base of the shift lever, there is a bushing where the shift rod rotates and a "cup" style bushing at the very end of the shift lever which attaches via a spherical ball. It's pretty easy and you can obtain instructions from www.pelicanparts.com in the tech article area. You might as well install the short shift kit while you're at it! good luck!
Old 09-09-2001, 11:34 PM
jpa
Track Day

This is a wonderful item. I've put one in my 84 and love it. It's like comparing stock 911 tie rod ends to Turbo(uniball)ones.You get a temendous amount of feedback from the gear selector rod. Make sure both nylon cup and selector rod buschings are within spec. You can also remove slop from the shift selector pivot by tightening the allen screw in the front of the shift selector housing(that aluminum thing that the stick shift goes into). One thing you'll notice, is the increased amount of tranny harmonics. The nylon buschings in the old yoke help to absorb them. This part is made by FABCAR. Quality is excellent. Smart Racing has some VERY nice parts. Stomski Racing makes a similar unit,I've not seen one but, from the pics in Pano it looks good.

Quick Reply: smart racing shift coupler