Notices

When will Boxster catch Riceburner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda make a great product, in all classes. I have had hondas for the last 15 years or so and have only got my 993 last month. I could have bought 2 used S2000's for the price of my Porsche but I did not want a strict 2 seater (my kids dont like riding in the trunk).

The S2000 was developed from the Formula One program, those things rev and than rev a whole lot more, the power is coming from the high efficency of the motor and the variable valve timing. It develops the more power per liter than any other normally aspirated engine in the world, bar none!!

The shift is amazing and so is the feel of the car at most speeds, the most common gripe is that they are a bit too noisy and that if you drive it very hard for very long you feel like you have run a marathon.

They are also rather tight in the cockpit even for a height challenged individual like myself.

I am still glad I bought my 993 and will smile even more in years to come when the other cars I looked at, S2000 included, are half the price I paid and my Porsche is holding its own.

Aussie Alan
Old 12-17-2003, 07:16 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"good", "bad", "cheap", "high-quality" are all subjective judgements. I prefer to let the track results speak for themselves, like the SCCA link above. I've seen way, way more S2000s on the tracks like Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and Sears Point the past couple of years than all models of Porsches combined! And the results don't bode well for the Porsche marque: http://www.speedventures.net/track_records_db.asp

Time to stop building SUVs and get back to making total domination track cars...

The S2000s beat up on a lot of 911s and ALL Boxsters ever brought out to those tracks. Mumford's S2000 was always just a couple seconds behind his VIper Compe Coupe. Too bad he couldn't keep up his incredible performance at the end of this year's SpeedGT Challenge.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:06 AM
944Willie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drive both for 500 mi. (Tacoma,Wa to Redding, Ca.) straight and there is no comparison. The s2k left me with my ears drumming, and had to have the music blasting to cover the engine roar. I had to drop down a gear in order to maintain speed through the mountains going south to Shasta Lake. The Boxster had the torque to handle the same mountains without dropping down a gear. We made the whole trip with the music down and carried on a comfortable conversion. Ariving there in much better shape. It was just a more comfortable drive. Distance trips take the Boxster, on the track where your always at the upper RPM's the s2k is more than fun.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Chris Picklo
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen many cars break down at the track because they weren't made properly for the track. Z06/S2000/NSX, etc. Not enough oil to the engine during high G forces, cheap suspension, broken wheels, etc.

Ferrari, Porsche and BMW seem to have cars that are ready to go out there, although the new age porsches, from what I hear, don't have a full "dry sump", and is only special order and on the GT3/GT2. This really upset me, as these cars should be ready for a DE right out of the showroom, not for getting groceries...

This is why I sold my Boxster S and went back to the older Porsche. It spent more time after a track day at the dealership than it did in my hands.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:00 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no comment on the S2000, but I will chime in that I also just sold my Boxster S and will be returning to an air cooled 911 for DE use. The build quality of the air cooled cars is just tougher for track use, imho.

Quick Reply: When will Boxster catch Riceburner?