Notices

GT3 Supercup suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Chris Silveri
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post GT3 Supercup suspension mods

Anyone out there changed the springs on a GT3(996) Supercup car? The stock spring rate is brutal on the bumpy tracks we have in Colorado. I'm not a expert but I think the wheels have to actually make contact with the ground to be effective.;-) I'd love to hear what you chose and how it worked for you.

Thanks,

-Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I know guys that have switched out their factory dampers for MOTONS and they have much more adjustability. Downside is that ANY change will disqualify your car for the Cup car class in PCA Club Racing.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Chris Silveri:
<strong>Anyone out there changed the springs on a GT3(996) Supercup car? The stock spring rate is brutal on the bumpy tracks we have in Colorado. I'm not a expert but I think the wheels have to actually make contact with the ground to be effective.;-) I'd love to hear what you chose and how it worked for you.

Thanks,

-Chris</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Hi Chris:

You ARE right, the Supercup suspension is quite stiff. The shock valving is pretty brutal too, as its matched to those heavy springs.

What to replace that with depends on many things: track surfaces, driver skills, tire choices, aero package, etc. As Greg indicated, the majority of 996 Cup cars are upgraded with Moton race shocks for competition (or the new Clubsports for DE) and setup witth different springs. If you can use them, the adjustment range of the Motons really transform the handling of the car over the stock stuff.

Each car, track, person is different,...
Old 01-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello
the 2003 cup car has afull adjustable suspension from the Gt3RS.
tons of adjustability.
anyway the cup car is mader for racing at smooth F1 tracks. I do not know much about the tracks in colorado but at Indy the cars performed very well.

Konstantin
PS there are many other options in Germany with only softer springs for teh cup car. so you don't have to buy a whole new suspension
Old 01-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I have some cup car guys here... 2 questions:

1. Does the cup car have ducts to the front brakes? If so do they help and do you think I could retro them to my 03 C2 X51?

2. Does the cup car cone intake still use a normal mass air between it and the manifold? I heard that the filter can retro onto a M96 motor if you put on a tail that has room for the filter. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: GT3 Supercup suspension mods