Notices

Question on early cv shaft development

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006 | 04:36 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Default Question on early cv shaft development

OK,

So here is how I understand the different generations of cv shafts/drive flanges/stub axles.

The early cars (pre 69?) had 4 bolt large bolt pattern setup. Used 4 10mm bolts and 2 pins.

The next generation (70 - 78?) used corse splines on the drive flange, 6 8mm bolts on the cv shaft, and course splines on the stub axles.

The next generation (78 - 83?) used fine splines on the drive flange, 6 8mm bolts on the cv shaft, and ???? splines on the stub axles.

The next generation (84 - 86) used fine splines on the drive flange, 6 10mm bolts on the cv shaft (larger diameter like the early cars), and ????? splines on the stub axles, and what bolts/diameter on the stub axle.

The Turbos used similar to the last generation with a longer stub axle. Is the cv shaft larger in diameter than the 84 - 86 shaft??

Please verify that the above is correct. For the most part I am asking not telling.

Here is what I want to do. I want to use the larger diameter cv bearings to my race car. I have larger drive flanges (from a 84 trans) and larger stub axles (from an early car with the two pinholes drilled and tapped). What shaft should I get. Is the turbo shaft the same length. Can I use the carrera shaft (seems to be the same for less money ?) I am really looking for larger bearings not shafts. It has been the bearings failing on me, not the shafts.

Thanks

Ed

Quick Reply: Question on early cv shaft development