Nitrous and Cryo2 experiments with M96 block

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous and Cryo2 experiments with M96 block

Why Would I be trying this? because i can. We have the technology. We can make her faster, stronger...aloofer.

The plan: 50 Shot wet nitrous system, manual switch engagement, and setup so that it will only engage under WOT. A wet system seems to be the safer choise to avoid a leaning out of the engine. From all the info i've gathered so far, spark plugs of a copper nature are better suited to the task (1-2 degrees cooler) and timing may have to be retarded a little bit. Of course this will have to be monitored closely during test and tuning. I'll report on progress as it is made.

The other plan: using cryo2 to cool the intake temps. Not sure how i'm goingto apply this, but we shall see. If there is a wayto get cooler air into the rear engine, i'm sure there will be some benifit. CO2 refils are pretty much free too, so it would be very cost effective.

if anyone has any advise and suggestions (apart from don't do it you blasphemer), please chip in.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:51 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea, good luck. The colder plugs and timing is correct, Make sure you're running some good 91 octane or better gasoline. I think NX has a 35 shot too, I was thinking about getting one too. How are you going to retard the timing. What kit are you going to use?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

I run 94 at all times since we get it at the pumps here. As for timing, the Bosch Motronic does a fair bit of its own adusting, but i might just run a piggyback ecu, i'll test it and find out.

The only thing discouraging me from doing this is that by retarding the timing, i will loose a bit of normal performance when the NOS isn't on, which may **** me off more than the NOS actually pleases me. If it's a small powerloss then i can handling it (i.e. 5hp or so) but otherwise i'll just work with cryo for now.

while the engine is pulled a flywheel and clutch will be put in as well, but that's another story.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:47 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

which kit are you running?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

either NX EFI Stage 1 (with all the necessary components added in)
or a ZEX wet kit. I have a good price relationship with both those companies so its the sensible choice for me. Plus i'm just a fan of their product, simple and direct to setup..unless ur dealing with a Porsche...d'oh
Old 02-17-2006, 02:19 PM
CameronD
Banned

This is the first threat that has really got me interested. I wanted to put Nitrous on my Techart 996 Widebody as I had all the extra goodies that were out for the car at the time. Now I sold that have a 987S and am doing all the gooies as we speak.
1)GIAC
2)Totally Custom GHL Exaust and German 100 Cats
3)Intake
So I can have the GIAC mapped to support the Nitrous if it will work. I read in a magazine once of a Boxter S that was totally tricked out and had a 75 shot I believe and he had no problem. Although magazines seem to always print what they can find to endorse a company and they don't write the articles about the engines blowing up and breaking.
I notice the threat holder is from Toronto. I am living in Beverly Hills, CA right now but am from London Ontario. Moved back to CA for work back in September.
Keep me informed about the Nitrous updates. I have a few questions though.
1) You are putting the kit on a 996 Turbo?
2) What would be the differences if putting the kit on a 987S?
3) Is The Zex Nitrous kit 100% reversible if engine failure occurs?(For engine replacement)
4) Would having an intake/exaust/chip and nitrous increase the risk of engine failure?
5) Would only the engine itself be at risk or would the increased hp/tq put undue stress on the tranny? (I would assume not for the 987S because does it bot share the tranny with the 997?)
6) Would you buy the Zex Universal kit or are special parts needed to fit it to a Porsche as they are much more complicated than say a civic?
7) Newer PCars have very high compression rates, which has caused massive amounts of blown engines from Aftermarket Supercharging Systems. Will this affect the reliability of engine with Nitrous?
Again keep me informed and be detailed..... Thanks
Old 02-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Hi camron,

The kit would be going on a 3.4L carrera so non-turbo.
The differences with putting the kit on a 987S would be, well nothing much, except you would have to make the necessary fine tuning for that specific car, otherwise the hardware should be the same.
Technically the Zex Nitrous kit is fully reversable, but the factory techs might be able to figure out that the motor blew because of nitrous if there was a sudden leaning out of the engine, or because of detonation.

Intake and exhaust won't be a problem, and as for the chip, you want to watch out because if your timing is advanced too much as a result you will run the risk of detonating with the NOS.

I will determin any special parts requirements when i actually start the project.

The drivetrain should be fine, the 996 tranny's handle superchargers without a problem, so a small NOS shot shouldn't be an issue. I don't remember hearing of lots of engine falieurs with the newer Pcars either...some data please. I've heard that a car blew its motor with a TPC unit, but never with an EVOMS.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:23 AM
CameronD
Banned

By Design Automotive Group... Beverly Hills, CA (My old car shop) had issues with customers cars blowing motors after installing a supercharger kit. I am sure it was an evo kit. Although not 100%. I know it was when the kits first came out for the 996 and the kinks had not yet been ironed out. I can try to find out which kit. I know now there are tons of 996s with SC kits and I haven't heard of any recent occurances.
Still interested in updates as if I can slap a NOS kit on my 987S and feel safe about it, and have it be reversible I am seriously interested.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:32 AM
sonny1
Banned

Whatever you do if using CO2 for cooling intercoolers,etc.,make sure the engine doesn't ingest this stuff,thru the intake filter,it will estinguish the combustion! I know BTDT,cheers,Sonny.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:59 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CameronD
By Design Automotive Group... Beverly Hills, CA (My old car shop) had issues with customers cars blowing motors after installing a supercharger kit. I am sure it was an evo kit. Although not 100%. I know it was when the kits first came out for the 996 and the kinks had not yet been ironed out. I can try to find out which kit. I know now there are tons of 996s with SC kits and I haven't heard of any recent occurances.
Still interested in updates as if I can slap a NOS kit on my 987S and feel safe about it, and have it be reversible I am seriously interested.

I know of NO engines that have blown because of an EVO supercharger. As a matter of fact, I have the first EVO system that was installed in a 1999 C2 and have no problems even tho it is extremely overboosted and 30,000 miles or hard driving.

Making statements like "this for sure happened" BUT "I am not 100% sure" does nothing to serve anyone on this board and should be avoided unless it can be backed up with fact.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ what boost level are you running?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:08 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
^ what boost level are you running?

Seen 10 psi but totally took away from the driving characteristics of the car.(as well as exceeds the blower's efficiency when running through an aftercooler). Much too abrupt on a car running a static compression ratio of 13.3:1. Car performs more like a Porsche at lessor boost.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:41 AM
CameronD
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I know of NO engines that have blown because of an EVO supercharger. As a matter of fact, I have the first EVO system that was installed in a 1999 C2 and have no problems even tho it is extremely overboosted and 30,000 miles or hard driving.

Making statements like "this for sure happened" BUT "I am not 100% sure" does nothing to serve anyone on this board and should be avoided unless it can be backed up with fact.
I will ask my friend and new shop owner who actually worked at By design when the kits were first released. Unless people are on this board you aren't going to hear about engines blowing. You certainly aren't going to hear about it from the manufacturer. "Oh by the way pcar owners you are running a much higher risk of blowing the motor and we have had X amount of owners with blown engines to our kit"
I am not being a ***** but I know of a few kits blowing motors. Whether it was definitely from evo????? I will find out. Do you ever hear about owners having ECU failures from remapping there Motronic. Well if you find a post online from a member who has experienced this failure I would like to see it. For I had some guy named Garret who does a majority of the engine remapping (Back in Early 2000 I believe he may have been one of the few if not only ones besides Techart, Gembella who were remapping) Well to make a long story short, my computer blew up and of course it was a week after my warranty ran out. Beverly Hills Porsche charged about 5000 for a new one installed along with a MAF sensor. I never posted about it, doesn't mean it never happened.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:40 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

I've always wanted to try this:

Thermocouples are commonly used to measure temperature, at a given temperature a millivolt signal is generated by the thermocouple. But the reverse is also true, if you put a voltage into a thermo. it will either get cold or warm dependant on the polarity applied.

OK now folow me, thermocouples are available in small clusters of like thousands of thermo. allready assembled to a substrait. If you put one group on the surface of a muffler where the heat could generate a voltage in the thermo. and the resulting energy could be fed to a set of thermocouples wired in reverse from the muffler side. This would produce a cooling effect in the other assembly of thermo. If this was stragetically placed lining the air intake box it would produce cooling for the intake air basically for free, no moving parts and the hotter the exhaust gets the more cooling is generated.

It's not totally free, there are obviously some system losses, I have no idea as to system loss numbers but who cares we have tons of heat available. You are using waste energy to cool the intake air. This is something that could be made very light and simple to implement. This technology is used in those coolers you plug into the dash to keep your beer cold or food hot. Instead of getting the energy from the battery you get it from waste heat.

So there you have it. It will work, but how well, is always a question.

As always your comments are welcome....

Ray
Old 04-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Sounds like somethign i wouldn't mind looking in to. Where do you buy these Thermocouplers?

Quick Reply: Nitrous and Cryo2 experiments with M96 block