Notices

dual us brake pad

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 PM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dual us brake pad

what is a good brake pad for everyday use on the road in a 996 but performs on the track. My standard pads fade at the track and I dont want to chnage the pads once a month for track work. Someone suggested EBC redstuff

thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Stuart:

I'm sorry to tell you that there is no such thing for a 996,...

Any streetable (low noise & dust, cold grip) pad simply doesn't have the heat tolerances for the track on these heavy, powerful cars with rather small brakes (for track use).

People either swap their pads from street to race for those DE days, or install a race pad and live with the additional noise.

LOL,..Its a lot like tires: street tires go away quickly when they get overheated and track tires do not last long when used everyday.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info. One last question if I did install pagid orange pads in the 996, would they improve the track work and if I left them in would street braking improve if I could tolerate the noise. I dont really wnat to change the pads for the track unless I have to.
UUMMM.... I do change the wheels to rims with yoko Ao48 tyres so I suppose it wouldnt hurt to change the pads at the same time. Which pad would you recommend??
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

My pleasure, anytime.

Pagid Orange's would be my recommendation for track pads and these will work OK on the street. They are noisier than the OEM Textars, but that can be minimized with a set of new factory brake damper discs and a coating of copper-based anti-seize on the edges of the pads.

I must say that if you are already changing wheels/tires, then swapping brake pads is not a big deal.

Quick Reply: dual us brake pad