Notices

InterCooler Sparying

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:26 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to use one of their intercooling spray systems, they didn't work from the outset, I sent them back the unit and they didn't do nothing, absolutely crap service and products.,- Sonny.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:52 AM
993Cabriolet
Intermediate

From my boss at the dyno: "Raised the HPs like 15-20 at the readouts just by spraying the intercooler" (STI). But then, remember the ëxtreme "temps" here at PR.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:52 AM
MeanRex
Advanced

dynos are the worst for turbocharged cars as far as real world temps go.
ive never seen a dyno fan setup that can reproduce the windforces at the speeds they run those cars at on the dyno.
on a dyno you just get very creative with one, maybe two fans and a water mister for the rad/ic.

try some proper airflow channeling and ducting for real world performance
Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 PM
sonny1
Banned

Originally Posted by MeanRex
dynos are the worst for turbocharged cars as far as real world temps go.
ive never seen a dyno fan setup that can reproduce the windforces at the speeds they run those cars at on the dyno.
on a dyno you just get very creative with one, maybe two fans and a water mister for the rad/ic.

try some proper airflow channeling and ducting for real world performance
What I do when I'm tuning Porsches on the Dyno, is to lay a bag of ice at the top of the intercooler, that does it., cheers, Sonny.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 AM
MeanRex
Advanced

ive heard when tuning try it during the coldest climates that youll be driving in as the air is a lot thicker w/ o2. so you dont lean out when it gets cold.
temperature correction works wonders though
Old 05-19-2006, 03:43 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While on a dyno, let's assume one can maximize intercooler heat transfer with regular or dry ice, water spray, high speed fans, etc., in fact with more efficiency than real world driving conditions would permit (not sure that would be the fact), however......

.....if the engine's ignition timing system doesn't include a knock sensor and the spark advance curve is fixed and optimized under ideal dyno conditions, then the preset settings might lead to destructive detonation since the system can't compensate for increased boost charge temperature on the road. Modern engine management systems usually provide the appropriate sensors and circuit controls.

Without, a prudent move would be to build in a safe ignition timing margin, adding CHT and EGR gauges and/or an intercooler spraying/cooling system that approximates the dyno setup.

Sherwood
Old 06-09-2006, 10:59 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Isn't dry ice a solid form of CO2 gas, which would effect the combustion?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:12 PM
911pcars
Racer

Originally Posted by silverbullet
Isn't dry ice a solid form of CO2 gas, which would effect the combustion?
Yes, but the topic is about spraying the intercooler from the outside to reduce the charge temperature.

Sherwood
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 PM
markaria1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"On the dynojet, I sprayed first and consistantly got 12-14 RWHP at 327 RWHP level.
On the mustang dyno, I sprayed after dry runs and got 12-14 RWHP at 380+/- RWHP level."

were both the pulls done at the same psi level on both dynos?
If so, I think you may have the mustang and dynojet #'s backwards...From my experience a mustang dyno will read substantially lower than a dynojet. Either way, nice improvement with the water spray.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:25 AM
986Jim
Instructor

My talon has an NX ntercooler setup on it. I have a huge FMIC on the car, it lays 424.5 whp SAE on a Dynojet running 28psi of boost on a T3/T4 50Trim .63 turbo. The sprayer netted me 26whp increase over the 424. Unfortuantely it uses a lot of nitrous so it runs out pretty quickly and wasn't really worth the hassle. The intercooler would have icecicles hanging from his after I sprayed it for about 30 seconds, the aluminum was so cold it condenses the moisture in the air and freezes right on the cooler like ice, pretty crazy.

Eventually when I was drag racing I would just spray it at the line for a few seconds while the other guy did his burn out then go down the track. Just kept the car most consistant and used less nitrous.

Once the bumper is back on, you could only see the top part of the sprayer ring. I konw guys use water but generally on a race track if anything is dripping from the car your kicked off, water or not. On the street that would be ok, but get caught at the track spraying water usually they remove you.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:02 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a WRX STI that came stock with a intercooler sprayer. I can not tell a difference. I think it is a marketing gimmick. The car is fast without using it and the same when using it makes no difference.
Craig
91 Porsche 964 C2, Techart 18” wheels, Techart wing, RSA front sway bar, Fabspeed cat bypass, Techart J pipe, Techart chip, Techart strut brace, drilled airbox, H & R turbo springs, Koni adj.front, Bilstein sport rear, alum pedals, HID headlights, rolled fenders, Pioneer, JL audio, MB Quart, R134a.
04 Subaru WRX STI
98 Honda VTR 1000

Quick Reply: InterCooler Sparying