Notices

Removing Glue under carpet (964)....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Brian W.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Glue under carpet (964)....

Ok....

So we got our 964 Turbo, and i decided to strip the interior out of it and install some racing seats, make a harness bar, etc. Well.......

as im taking the carpet out i notice ITS GLUED!!! what is the carpet glued to?!?!..... its glued to 1" thick sound deadening foam that is alos GLUED to the metal or floor of the car. This stuff is disgusting!!! Ive never seen anything like it, it drys to a golden crystalized gunk that is hell to get off. I have an undercoating removal tool, which is pretty much a very large wire wheel that seems to be working pretty well on it. But osme places there is still foam glued down, im wondering what some of you might have done to break this stuff down, or even remove it.

The only answers ive gotten so far from asking local places are along the lines of "oh, no! you should have left the carpet in!" or " your gonna be there forever taking that stuff out!" ...none of which are very helpful to me.

So, here i am.. on the good ol rennlist seeking help from someone out there who hopefully has done this alot when prepping race cars.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:01 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

I have never tried this myself, but I have heard placing 'dry ice' (frozen CO2) on the glue for a couple of minutes and then use a 'hardwood chisel' (oak) to knock the glue loose from the metal floorpan.

Or a can of "Goof Off" adhesive remover; make certain of good ventilation for breathing and no open flames!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you search the 993 forum or the Racing forum you'll find a number of threads about removal of the glue. It's a real PITA.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:03 PM
pieball
Racer

Alot can even be found in the 944 Turbo forum. Best way that we all seem to concur on is the use of adhesive remover. Remove carpet, then soak the glue and/or padding by applying it with brushes or mini roller. Let stand for a few minutes, then take shop rags/towels and wipe it off. Start at the highest points and work down like washing a car. Thicker/harder spots naturally require more remover w/elbow grease. Hard worked areas will go down to bare metal. I think you can save a few bucks and buy the "Goop" or glue removers at the local Home Depots. Quart bottle goes for maybe $5. I've used 3 bottles so far to do a 944 trunk area up to the back of the front seats. I also bought a bundle of small white terry towels from Costco for $13(40). Just chuck them when finished, hope that helps! If you do this method MAKE SURE YOU'RE OUTSIDE! Vapors WILL make you dizzy as ****!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I had better luck with 3M adhesive remover than with any of the goop/citrus/etc. removers but the 3M product stinks. I used 3M to dissolve most of the glue and I also pulled upward on the carpet and used a razor blade to cut the long strands of golden colored glue. You definitely want to wear latex gloves. If my porsche wasn't a daily driver I would have just used as much 3M as possible and not worried about the smell. The good thing about using adhesive remover is it doesn't affect painted surfaces.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:43 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

3M adhesive remover, elbow grease, and a very well ventilated location for the glue. A heat gun, something type of scraping tool, and elbow grease for the floor sound material. Take your time.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Brian W.
Advanced

cool guys thanks! i searched and found 3M and elbow grease are the ways to do it. MY undercoating removal tool ended up just getting stuck up with glue and ended up smearing it everywhere. Thanks again!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:38 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

always used dry ice for nasty stuff like that. you can pick it up at most grocery stores, cover the area real well and let it sit for a few minutes. start tapping it and the glue or tar should pop right off. this is a great technique and much cleaner than using a heat gun.

Quick Reply: Removing Glue under carpet (964)....