Notices

Borla mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:58 AM
944JM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla mufflers

Has anybody had any experience with the Borla XR-1 style mufflers? Was wondering if the the perferated pipe in the middle tended to crack in them. For grins I tried a cheap Thrush muffler and the sound was great. Problem being of course, it burned out quick and the mild steel couldn't take the hammering of the exhaust pulse. As I said it was just a cheap test for sound quality and I'd now like to replace it with something that will hold up better.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:13 PM
PowerWerks
Instructor

Hello James,

If you can wait for a week or two.... you may be interested in what we will be offering.
Our product line is just being finished and our products will be on offer very soon!

If you can wait..... keep taking a look at the site www.powerwerks.net and soon you will see what we have been up to! Wink wink!

Cheers,
Paul R
Old 01-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Several 951 'listers have used them (including myself) with fair to great satisfaction. Used on a NA with a cat I'd think it would sound quite nice. It was a bit loud on my catless 951, but I liked it. TonyG used three in series I believe on one of his cars.
I still have the my stock catback section with a XR-1 with the stock tip welded on. I don't know if it bolts up or not, but you could have it for a pittance.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:30 PM
944JM
Instructor

I'm not currently running a cat as my area does not require one. I have a Flow Master 50 series Delta Flow in the back. It does not have any packing at all and sounds like an empty drum by itself. In conjunction with a glass packed muffler though it sounds good as well as flows. I'd like to get rid of one or the other and put a single muffler in line. If it was loud on a cat-less 951 then it'd probably be too loud on an N/A. Noise is a concern. Thanks for the offer though. (Don't want to be mistaken for a local ricer!) May look into 2 in series though. I currently have a Bursch header and want to add a JME S-3 cam in the spring. He advised a 3" exhaust system to maximize the benefit of the cam. This would mean a change of header (or alteration) but at the expense of low end torque.

Russ, PM me with a price if you want.

Paul, I'll be waiting to see what you have as I'm in no real hurry.

Quick Reply: Borla mufflers