Notices

Contemplating Mods vs Different Car

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 12:34 PM
Photocycler
Rennlist Member

Default Contemplating Mods vs Different Car

I have been enjoying my 2019 base 718 cayman my first track season and as I think ahead of the future of the car, contemplating eventual modifications vs eventually moving to a faster car.

I bought the base cayman with the idea that its a reasonably priced car that can double as a drive around town when I want (I work from home so don't drive a ton), do club drives with and probably about 8-10 track days a year (we have a short season in Oregon).

The only complaints I really have with the car is of course would prefer the bette sounding engine and I would like a little more power to keep up with faster cars on the straights for track days and also keep up a little better on club drives. I do love how the car looks, love how it handles and I do love the lower insurance rates for track days.

My focus on track is to continue to get coaching and focus on improving, I am not under any impression that modifications will make me a better driver. BUT.....things like suspension will of course make the car even more fun to drive, look better (lower to remove the ungodly wheel gap), buckets and harness will make the car safer and I won't be bouncing around with the stock belts.

I added up all of the potential modifications, and with labor looking car around investing 20k. Of that there are things like track wheels and tires which no matter what car I would need as well as track pads and rotors.

The decision I am contemplating is, I can invest about 20k into my current base which I paid around 60k and have a base cayman with upgraded suspension and tuned or move into a GTS 4.0 for about 90k and have a stock car with PASM as I wouldn't want to invest anymore into that car.

Of course I do not expect anyone to make this decision for me, but curious of what other peoples views are on this. Right now I will likely stay with the base and modify it with the upgrades below over time.

** And yes, if I could do all the labor it would save me a ton, but I am to able to so this is where I am at **

Last edited by Photocycler; Yesterday at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Contemplating Mods vs Different Car