Notices

Removing A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 12:05 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
for a track car, I would recommend aluminum HVAC tape and call it a day. It won’t be pretty but it will do the job.
That's a pretty easy-to-do option and i agree, it would likely work just fine... until you wanted to remove the duct. I've got some garage door weather seal that i'm going to try to make something with... if that fails, i've got a roll of aluminum hvac tape that i can slap on there. Thx for the suggestion.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:44 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

Wrapped up this side project (pun intended) and installed some rubber gasket to seal the side rads after AC condenser removal.
I used some garage door seal that i bought at home depot for $10 and some rivets.

Added the rubber seal on both sides of the side rad ducts.

After reinstalling the duct with the rubber seal sitting inside of the closure it appears to limit open airflow significantly and should be the fix i was looking for.

almost no light (air) sneaking through.

not much light coming through here, either.
The following users liked this post:
cloud9blue (03-11-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 05:35 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

An update... i finally got the car back on the ground and did a test drive. immediately upon start-up i had a litany of warning messages and none of the PASM, Sport or PSM buttons would function. I assumed that this was due to the car sitting, off battery, for over a month. Luckily, i was correct and they all resolved within a 5-10 min drive.

The one issue that is related to this thread, is that both radiator fans in each wheel well came on, full blast, at start up and stayed running full blast the entire easy drive and parked back in the garage. Water temps only came up to operating temp and stayed... i figured i may have had a coolant bleed issue.. but that turned out to not be a factor. Doing some searching on this forum i found that it is most likely due to a high-pressure sensor on the A/C getting triggered, thus requesting maximum condenser cooling (only way it can do that is by turning on the rad fans). Since i don't have the A/C system in place, this sensor will need to be dealt with. If anyone has an idea on how to simulate an A/C system being 'okay', i'm all ears. Otherwise, i'll just pull the fan sensors and manually switch them via a dash switch. TIA.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:46 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,456 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by delirium45
An update... i finally got the car back on the ground and did a test drive. immediately upon start-up i had a litany of warning messages and none of the PASM, Sport or PSM buttons would function. I assumed that this was due to the car sitting, off battery, for over a month. Luckily, i was correct and they all resolved within a 5-10 min drive.

The one issue that is related to this thread, is that both radiator fans in each wheel well came on, full blast, at start up and stayed running full blast the entire easy drive and parked back in the garage. Water temps only came up to operating temp and stayed... i figured i may have had a coolant bleed issue.. but that turned out to not be a factor. Doing some searching on this forum i found that it is most likely due to a high-pressure sensor on the A/C getting triggered, thus requesting maximum condenser cooling (only way it can do that is by turning on the rad fans). Since i don't have the A/C system in place, this sensor will need to be dealt with. If anyone has an idea on how to simulate an A/C system being 'okay', i'm all ears. Otherwise, i'll just pull the fan sensors and manually switch them via a dash switch. TIA.
See if u can find the tech specs in the sensor. It should give u the ohm rating for the opperating range. Use a resistor in-line to simulate a good reading.
delirium45 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 07:51 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

That's what i was thinking, too. I'll see what i can find out.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:25 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

And i found this... from the part number embossed on the switch itself: https://www.sensorstecnics.net/media.../Serie_PT4.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Serie_PT4.pdf (112.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-27-2024, 10:01 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,456 Likes on 1,818 Posts

So u need to show a signal voltage between .5-4v. U just have to do some math as the supply voltage is running voltage 12-14.5.

Lots of good reads on this.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...sing-resistors

May not be as easy as just adding resistors? Im a ME not an EE so im not that sure.

I am using a cheap computer 12v to 5v converter to simulate a 5v signal to simulate a signal voltage on my truck. Maybe u can cut the voltage on one of these with a couple diods?

Amazon Amazon

Maybe a 12v to 3v convertor.

Amazon Amazon

delirium45 (03-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Removing A/C