Notices

Pre-muffler experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:54 PM
BHMSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-muffler experience?

I’m considering replacing the catalytic converter on my ’80 SC with a European pre-muffler once the car qualifies for “historic” status but I’m curious about other folks’ experience.

I’ve read about sound problems with the test pipes. Is a pre-muffler worth the extra cost compared to a “test pipe”? I want something a little louder than stock but not something obnoxious (inside or outside the car).

I would keep the oxygen sensor. Was it necessary to re-adjust the CIS mixture to compensate for the lack of a catalytic converter?

The most reasonably priced pre-mufflers seem to be from Performance Products and Fabspeed. Anyone have experience with either? Others?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:33 AM
SMTCapeCod
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same thought. However, in corresponding with a person in Oz and UK, they didn't seem to think it would provide much of a flow advanatage over the cats. Well- I should specify that I've retrofitted later model GT cats onto my car. Its a tough dilemma- maybe chime in with me and post some notes to the folks producing x-pipes requesting a muffler option instead of just cat/no cat. I had my car cat-less for a while, and it was gawdawful loud.

Quick Reply: Pre-muffler experience?