Notices

Axle does not want to come out of hub....ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 08:45 AM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Axle does not want to come out of hub....ideas?

06 Boxster S: I'm trying to remove the passenger side axle so I can replace the outer CV boot and it REALLY doesn't want to come out of the hub. Anyone got ideas? None of the tutorials or videos online mention it being difficult to remove. I tried a pulley/steering wheel adapter that wasn't big enough to connect to the lug bolts so tried making an adapter but it wasn't strong enough... And I damaged a lug bolt in the process...add that to the shopping list.. Ideas? Thanks,Julian
Old 06-24-2021, 11:55 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,456 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian_KCMO
06 Boxster S: I'm trying to remove the passenger side axle so I can replace the outer CV boot and it REALLY doesn't want to come out of the hub. Anyone got ideas? None of the tutorials or videos online mention it being difficult to remove. I tried a pulley/steering wheel adapter that wasn't big enough to connect to the lug bolts so tried making an adapter but it wasn't strong enough... And I damaged a lug bolt in the process...add that to the shopping list.. Ideas? Thanks,Julian

A large brass punch or block and a 4lb hammer. Antisieze on reassembly. If u want to change the wheel bearing too, which after beating on it u may have to, use a map gas torch to heat it up.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:20 AM
ssburns
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to use this on a BMW axle that didn't want to come apart. https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-...ler-95326.html
Old 07-02-2021, 03:00 PM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't seen that when I went in to try a find the "right" tool for the job. I ended up pulling out the hub and axle complete and taking them to a shop down the road from my office, they used a press and had it out in about 2 minutes.

Quick Reply: Axle does not want to come out of hub....ideas?