Notices

Suggestions racing harness for 718 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Hernan Orihuela
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Suggestions racing harness for 718 GT4

Sorry if there is another thread that addresses this. If there is, please forward.

My local racing shop is suggesting the 4 point Schroth as it is compatible with the carbon buckets without any modifications. Here it is:

Any feedback or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 01-23-2021, 02:10 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 642 Posts

A few thoughts:

You may want to ask in the Racing and D E subforum

Some clubs do not permit 4 point harnesses -check with the organizers for their safety and tech requirements.

Personally I would never use a harness without anti-submarine belts.

When using any harness that straps you upright in your seat, you should also have rollover protection installed (like a 1/2 cage with rollover hoop). Some clubs require this with shoulder harnesses.

You may want to consult another shop. Your SAFETY should be top priority, not ease of installation. Yes, take installation into account. But no anti sub belt would be a deal breaker for me. If you're not putting in a cage you might consider wearing a Simpson hybrid in conjunction with your three point OEM seat belt. It’s a compromise but if you don’t want to put a cage in your car, it’s a good option.

Plenty is written on this topic if you do some searching.

Good luck!

Last edited by needmoregarage; 01-23-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:04 PM
Hernan Orihuela
AutoX

Thanks. I need to do some research.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:07 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

The Schroth 4 point is specifically approved by PCA for use with the carbon bucket seats. I used it on the passenger side since that seat did not have the hole for a sub-belt. I used a 6-Point on the drivers side. Yes, I'm aware it was not equal restraint.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:42 PM
Hernan Orihuela
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
The Schroth 4 point is specifically approved by PCA for use with the carbon bucket seats. I used it on the passenger side since that seat did not have the hole for a sub-belt. I used a 6-Point on the drivers side. Yes, I'm aware it was not equal restraint.
Yes, I think I will go with the same set up, 6 pt on driver and 4 point on passenger.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:42 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 642 Posts

My only point was that some clubs may not allow 4 point. If you only run with PC, then it should not be an issue although you should still check with the specific PCA organizer. PCA National sets minimum standards we must meet. Each club may exceed those standards if they choose. It’s possible there are PCA regions that may disallow 4 point.

Each club (PCA, BMW, Chin, etc...)can be different so you should check with whomever you intend to run with.

You also may be required to have rollover protection when using 4 point (or more) harnesses.

Regarding equal restraint for driver and passenger, OP, if you choose the set up Bill describes, you should know there are plenty of regions where that won’t pass tech. Again, better to check with your organizers FIRST (before deciding on the setup) because you will be turned away from the event with no refund. This is not a situation where you want to commit to a setup and then ask “forgiveness” later.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 01-25-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:51 PM
Hernan Orihuela
AutoX

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
My only point was that some clubs may not allow 4 point. If you only run with PC, then it should not be an issue although you should still check with the specific PCA organizer. PCA National sets minimum standards we must meet. Each club may exceed those standards if they choose. It’s possible there are PCA regions that may disallow 4 point.

Each club (PCA, BMW, Chin, etc...)can be different so you should check with whomever you intend to run with.

You also may be required to have rollover protection when using 4 point (or more) harnesses.

Regarding equal restraint for driver and passenger, OP, if you choose the set up Bill describes, you should know there are plenty of regions where that won’t pass tech. Again, better to check with your organizers FIRST (before deciding on the setup) because you will be turned away from the event with no refund. This is not a situation where you want to commit to a setup and then ask “forgiveness” later.
Yes, LS PCA is ok with 4 point so as TDE. I think the consensus has been to get the 6 pt for additional safety.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:44 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

For clarity, the Schroth Quick Fit Pro (which is pictured) has a slot in that center release which can also accept a sub 5th or 6th point if I am correct. I just sold one of these from a prior car I owed. Great unit as it is DOT legal with the one press release.

Quick Reply: Suggestions racing harness for 718 GT4