Notices

Adjustment for altitude?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:17 AM
lufetarg
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustment for altitude?

I am the proud new, first time Porsche owner of a 1987 Venetian Blue Targa. I am having a blast with it! I purchased the car in Southern California and drove it back to Denver, Colorado where I live. What a great "get to know your car" road trip!

Situation: I feel a noticable difference in the throttle response between sea level and 5,200+ feet. I would assume that it is running much richer in Denver than in So. Cal.

Question: Are there any adjustments that I should/could make to increase performance at this altitude. If so, could a "weekend mechanic" like myself perform these adjustments? Where would I find detailed instructions?

I am absolutely elated to be a 911 owner and in the company of all of you. This is a great forum and community.

Brad
Old 03-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone else that owns a 3.2L Carrera in your area needs to chime in to verify but I think the DME system is self adjusting for altitude. What there's no adjustment for is the lack of oxygen at your altitude so even if there is an adjustment you'll still be significantly down on power as compared to So. Cal. where you picked the car up.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Brad:

The Motronic engine management system on your Carrera is self-compensating.

Changes in air density caused by altitude and/or temperature are measured by the airflow meter.

Unless a car is turbocharged, you lose around 10% HP for every 1000 ft of altitude increase over sea level.

Quick Reply: Adjustment for altitude?