Notices

987.2 Cayman S. Struts need to be replaced. Help me choose

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 09:06 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 987.2 Cayman S. Struts need to be replaced. Help me choose

I have a 2009 987.2 S w/out PASM. I bought the car with GT3 LCAs, Bilstein sport struts and Cayman R springs. The struts need to be replaced and I originally picked Bilstein B8s with the idea of transferring over my Cayman R springs. Now I am second guessing myself.

My car will primarily be used for track. Maybe once a week on the street. I don't have a trailer so I will be driving it to the track as well. I don't do timed events or club racing, just out there to have fun and improve my skills. Are the B8s and R springs good enough for a track-focused set up? Or do I really need to step up to coilovers?

Old 08-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are going to strip the suspension off your car, I would start with a Red solid thrust puck in the center of the LCA's both f and r. Then add camber plates in f along with your adjustable LCA's to approach -2.8 camber f and -2.4 r. Add Tarett GT adjustable swaybars f & R. Then add either a single adjustable coilover like Ohlin R&T or a JRZ single controller product. They are easier to setup and you are not constantly adjusting rebound/compression for some reason. If you are serious about racing, then skip this post as you already know what you want to do, spring rate of 600 f and 750 r with dual controller with connectable canisters or use the TPC DSC shocks and controller.

You are asking for other opinions that may or maynot fit your needs. With that said, I use Ohlins with 400 lbs/in f and 458 lbs/in r spring rate. If I were only using my car for the track, I would increase this spring rate using Swift springs and slightly different valving for better compression/rebound control.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:41 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1
If you are going to strip the suspension off your car, I would start with a Red solid thrust puck in the center of the LCA's both f and r. Then add camber plates in f along with your adjustable LCA's to approach -2.8 camber f and -2.4 r. Add Tarett GT adjustable swaybars f & R. Then add either a single adjustable coilover like Ohlin R&T or a JRZ single controller product. They are easier to setup and you are not constantly adjusting rebound/compression for some reason. If you are serious about racing, then skip this post as you already know what you want to do, spring rate of 600 f and 750 r with dual controller with connectable canisters or use the TPC DSC shocks and controller.

You are asking for other opinions that may or maynot fit your needs. With that said, I use Ohlins with 400 lbs/in f and 458 lbs/in r spring rate. If I were only using my car for the track, I would increase this spring rate using Swift springs and slightly different valving for better compression/rebound control.
Thanks for the insight. I ended up going with a setup very similar to what you describe. Everything is being installed this week, so I don't have opinions yet. but here's what I've got:
  • MCS 1-way dampers
  • MODE Camber plates and rear mounts
  • Eibach springs 600# F and 700# R.
  • Tarett sway bars F and R.
MCS has been awesome to deal with. Wyatt at MCS gave me a ton of advice on how to dial in the suspension. They seem like they really stand behind their product.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Cayman S. Struts need to be replaced. Help me choose