Notices

997.2 Replacement brakes need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 PM
jsfried18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997.2 Replacement brakes need advice

Hi guys, I recently did a track event in my 997.2 c2 and was not satisfied with brake pressure once they get up to temperature.

I already need a rear brake job so seeing what options are out there for rotor and pad setups.

the car is my daily driver so I don't want something that will be terribly loud.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:55 PM
ptm1019
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jsfried18
Hi guys, I recently did a track event in my 997.2 c2 and was not satisfied with brake pressure once they get up to temperature.

I already need a rear brake job so seeing what options are out there for rotor and pad setups.

the car is my daily driver so I don't want something that will be terribly loud.
You can't go wrong with the Girodisc rotors. A huge step above stock. As far as pads go, you'll find many people that swear by the Pagid yellow/black, PFC, Raybestos, among others. From a noise perspective, it seems that noise levels can vary greatly on a case-by-case basis. I have the PFC11s and don't have much noise, but have talked to others running the same setup and say it sounds like a freight train. Bedding the new rotors and pads together may help.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:13 PM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 182 Posts

I went with Zimmerman rotors and Hawk pads. Very little dust and braking is great. You could go with cyro treated rotors if you want them to last a really long tme. Expensive but I'm told it is work every penny. I haen't tried them myself.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:24 AM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you have fresh DOT4 or DOT5.1 fluid at your track event? If not, you will want to flush system with one of those. I've had good success over the years with off-the-shelf parts-store DOT4, or you could go with something serious like Motul 600 or 660 but likely not necessary.
I'm running PFC 11 pads on the street and track at the moment. So far so good! Noise and dust on the street aren't as bad as I'd feared. Cold stopping on the street is no problemo. May be the best pads for street/track I've found. I will swap OEM pads back in after track season is over.
I wouldn't worry about getting new rotors if yours are decently above minimum thickness.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:48 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have Girodiscs and am very happy with them. That said, if you're only doing occasional track days, they are pretty pricey for that limited use. When getting new rotors, look for slotted rather than drilled replacements. Drilled rotors are much more susceptible to cracking and offer no benefits.

Stock pads really under-perform on the track. As mentioned above, PFC's are good and many people use Pagid yellows (but they're noisy). Assuming you leave your nanny controls on, the rear pads can wear pretty quickly and typically on the outside faster (look at the uneven wear in this classified https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1159536). I check mine after every track day and will swap inside to outside pads to even the wear and taper . And some tracks (like Laguna Seca) are harder on one side of the car than the other so I may even swap them side to side.

If you went out with stock brake fluid, I would bet that was the primary cause of your displeasure. Motul or other 600 degree fluid would be much better.

Have fun,
Bern

Quick Reply: 997.2 Replacement brakes need advice