Notices

Stage 1 Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019 | 10:39 AM
Contender33
4th Gear

Default Stage 1 Chip

New to this modification strategy.

Have a 2015 911 Carrera 4 (991.1). I own car and "think" it would be fun to "wake up" the car. Overall very happy with car and just want a little more "pull".

-Does a stage 1 potentially damage engine (push it too far)?
-What chip is recommended?
-Does this affect re-sale value (lower it)?

Thanks all.
Old 02-19-2019 | 09:14 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

General rule of thumb: Whatever you spend on aftermarket modifications, divide that cost in half, then deduct that from the KBB of the car.
There are buyers out there who aren't afraid to buy a modified car, but most of those buyers also prefer to do the mods themselves.

But there are many tuning options that allow you to revert to a stock file. So just go that route if you're worried about resale.

Is a tune worth it? That's a matter of opinion.
I would do bolt ons before a tune. These cars are close to maxed out for performance with the "restrictive" stock parts. Once you have the bolt ons done, get a tune for the parts you have added and you'll unleash its full potential.

I come from the world of turbos where a simple stage 1 tune with all stock parts can instantly give the car +50whp and +50ftlbs. A few bolt ons and it's not hard to add over 100whp to a turbo car. That's definitely worth it.
But I have no desire to tune my NA cars. It's a lot of money for not much more power. Spend that money on tires, brakes, and suspension upgrades and you'll still be the faster around a corner.

As for engine damage, that is very unlikely with continued proper maintenance. Just be sure to get a reputable tune. Don't just have the performance shop down the street tweak parameters to make the car faster.
Old 02-19-2019 | 09:18 AM
Contender33
4th Gear

Thanks for thoughtful reply- good advice.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Chip