Notices

turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 06:30 PM
mxracer21cb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo?

I was wondering if you can put a turbo in a car that doesnt originally have one. I have a 68 911 and didnt think you could but figured id ask anyways. Even if you just take a kit not for the car and modify it to fit? Would it work?

thanks
Old 02-13-2004, 01:10 PM
paul_boivin
Advanced

Exclamation

If you're the handy type it will work for a spin around town & then you can get it towed away with a broken engine... If you're looking for more power with a turbo you'd need to install more than just the "fan"... other pistons (to drop the compression), stronger gaskets & oil-cooler would be the things to get.. I'm not an expert at all but I've owned a few turbo cars by now and if it kick's in delivering the extra power you want!!, the engine surely gets kicked in its ..... I would'nt try it, unless your taking the engine apart for a (planned) rebuild soon ;-)
cheers, Paul
Old 02-13-2004, 03:44 PM
paul_boivin
Advanced

Exclamation

If you're the handy type it will work for a spin around town & then you can get it towed away with a broken engine... If you're looking for more power with a turbo you'd need to install more than just the "fan"... other pistons (to drop the compression), stronger gaskets & oil-cooler would be the things to get.. I'm not an expert at all but I've owned a few turbo cars by now and if it kick's in delivering the extra power you want!!, the engine surely gets kicked in its ..... I would'nt try it, unless your taking the engine apart for a (planned) rebuild soon ;-)
cheers, Paul
Old 02-14-2004, 02:32 PM
mxracer21cb
Intermediate

yeah, thats what i figured. i wasnt sure if the engine could take it or not. Thanks for the input.

chris
Old 02-14-2004, 05:33 PM
NISL
Track Day

I'm sure someone could fab up an aftermarket kit for you.. I wouldn't do it myself because I don't know enough about how much boost, fuel, ignition advance/retard etc to prevent detonation.

Quick Reply: turbo?