Notices

3.8 or 4.0L upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:43 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.8 or 4.0L upgrade

I have the ticking time bomb 3.4 with the IMS 2006 987.1S.
No problems thus far, but it's over 42,000 miles old and it is a question of WHEN, not IF the IMS will grenade.

I'm considering the 3.8L or 4.0L that Vision Motorsports on the left coast and there are a couple shops in FL offering the same.
I'm looking for any advice or recommendations from others who have taken the plunge and bored and stroked their engines.
Estimates range from $24000 to $28000 depending on what they find upon disassembly and inspection.

My thought is that I can buy a GT4 for $90,000ish or spend <$30,000 for the same power output.
GT4 will depreciate as miles go up. GT4 insurance and license plates in Az will be at least $1000/ year more than my Cayman.
I already own the Cayman and the value won't drop much if at all at this point.
I can hang with the GT4's everywhere on the track until we hit the straights and then the 3.8 just walks away.
Won't cry if I back the Cayman into a wall somewhere. (Would be seriously pissed at myself if I backed the GT4 into a wall)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Brian ,
We send you a pm about the 3.8l we have forsale.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:55 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

For what it's worth, I removed my IMS bearing (single row) from my 2000 C2. The engine had approx 60K miles, and upon removal (for an LN Engineering replacement ceramic bearing), the OEM bearing was perfect. I have heard the horror stories as well, and ended up spending about $3k including labor and a new clutch disc and RMS, to address an issue that in my particular car, was non-existent. For what it is worth.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:50 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
No problems thus far, but it's over 42,000 miles old and it is a question of WHEN, not IF the IMS will grenade.

I'm considering the 3.8L or 4.0L that Vision Motorsports on the left coast and there are a couple shops in FL offering the same.
I'm looking for any advice or recommendations from others who have taken the plunge and bored and stroked their engines.
Estimates range from $24000 to $28000 depending on what they find upon disassembly and inspection.

My thought is that I can buy a GT4 for $90,000ish or spend <$30,000 for the same power output.
GT4 will depreciate as miles go up. GT4 insurance and license plates in Az will be at least $1000/ year more than my Cayman.
I can hang with the GT4's everywhere on the track until we hit the straights and then the 3.8 just walks away.
Won't cry if I back the Cayman into a wall somewhere. (Would be seriously pissed at myself if I backed the GT4 into a wall)
I'd go with a 3.8 upgrade. That is my long-term plan. The platform you have is just fantastic - everything you mention is spot-on. You'll get almost all the performance and won't stress about the GT4, and spend less money... really like that route. I have not investigated the 4.0, but sounds .2 better.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az

Call Flat 6 innovations
Old 10-13-2018, 12:53 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Difference between a Vision motor or a Bavaro Built (Bodymotion) engine isn't just the size, they build out a durable, high performance race engine. Bavaro built mine and it is epic
Old 10-20-2018, 12:35 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan212
Difference between a Vision motor or a Bavaro Built (Bodymotion) engine isn't just the size, they build out a durable, high performance race engine. Bavaro built mine and it is epic
I haven't heard of Bavaro Built or Bodymotion....

What did they do for your engine?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:40 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Bavaro maintains a separate facility with clean room where he personally polished and assembled all ports. Many subtle things he does. My crank went one place for polishing, Pistons went to a shop in NC for coating. Mike uses a lot of aircraft retaining hardware which increase durability. A full rebuild such as mine as opposed to a "refresh" takes time. I was in a hurry and we actually sent the block to Vision to be bored and lined. They use a different liner than mike uses - nothing wrong with either., just builders taste. Mikes builds always come out with max power. Vision also builds a fine engine. A lot of love and care goes into an engine build. Bavaro treats his builds as a very personal product. When he dyno'd mine it came out even better than he hoped. That is typical.

Talk to Vision. Ask what they do. Talk to mike Bavaro and ask what he does. Make your decision. It's not like you will make a bad choice. There is usually a queue on builds. Can only put a few on a stand and build by hand.

Also talk to Jake Raby of Raby Engine Development. I know exactly what he puts into his engines. He has a very long queue of customers.

Talk to them all.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 Cayman S with a 3.8 conversion. The builder said 3.8 or maybe 3.9 is as far as you can go without needing to tune the car. He said once you punch it to a 4.0 all sorts of things need to be addressed, which is why he favors the 3.8 over the 4.0.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 3.8l in my 1999 996. It's FSI/LN Engineering built. Has every upgrade that could be done and pulls like a freight train.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my 3.6L in my 997 rebuilt by Vision, great place to have it done in my opinion. Dwain has tons of experience, and while a little slow on correspondence due to high volume of customers and Dwane races sometimes too (plus since I'm east coast I couldn't just roll in and say hey hows my stuff) they did an excellent job at an extremely good price.
My crankshaft broke in half (didn't PPI, lesson learned) because the one of the previous owners had a TON of level 5 overrevs. had I known that from the start I never would've bought the car. the full rebuild (stock but with polished and ported heads, knife edge crank) plus upgraded IMS bearings, rods, etc. ran me $13,100 for the whole thing (minus my engine removal/installation, shipping to/from CA from NC). for an extra $5k he said they could bore it to 4.0 and now I'm kicking myself for not just dropping the cash. I don't know exactly what his 4.0 build entails, but the master mech at Porsche Wilmington I talked to had his 3.8 built to 4.0 by him and said it is amazing.

I had briefly talked to Jake Raby, because everyone says he's the best and highly recommended him, but there was no way I could've waited almost a year to get into his shop, let alone a $24k price tag after only paying $30 for the car. nothing against him or his shop(definitely regarded as the best in the country - wish I had the patience and cash for it), never heard of a single bad experience, just way too expensive for an otherwise stock rebuild (except bearings and other little but important fixes). even if It is a Porsche.- that option just wasnt for me

Last edited by Milo2361; 01-24-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.8 or 4.0L upgrade