Thoughts on supplemental cooling for a 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:35 PM
SoCal60
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on supplemental cooling for a 991

Hi guys,
I've owned a 2013 991 4S for about a year and have been having a blast with it. I've participated in several AX events and have access to a short track (much like an AX track) where I can drive 1-2 times a week. Later this year I'd like to step up to a DE event. I live in Southern California. With summer here, I've been thinking about possible cooling upgrades. I don't think I need them for AX, but they might come in handy for DE's. Just looking for thoughts and opinions. I am considering:
1. Adding the third center radiator
2. Adding a supplemental cooler for the PDK
3. Hi temp brake fluid (seems like cheap insurance)
Your thoughts?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Third radiator is a relatively cheap upgrade. The GTS and all X-51 cars come that way. I believe it helps w PDK cooling too. The brake fluid upgrade is a no brainer next time you do a brake fluid flush! It only costs a little more. Consider slightly better (harder) brake pads too. OEM will wear fast at a DE!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:33 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal60
Hi guys,
I've owned a 2013 991 4S for about a year and have been having a blast with it. I've participated in several AX events and have access to a short track (much like an AX track) where I can drive 1-2 times a week. Later this year I'd like to step up to a DE event. I live in Southern California. With summer here, I've been thinking about possible cooling upgrades. I don't think I need them for AX, but they might come in handy for DE's. Just looking for thoughts and opinions. I am considering:
1. Adding the third center radiator
2. Adding a supplemental cooler for the PDK
3. Hi temp brake fluid (seems like cheap insurance)
Your thoughts?
I am not familiar with the 991 series, but 9x7 series cars with PDK already have the third radiator. I'd speculate that your 991 is already equipped with the third radiator; if not, get one installed. If you are going to do a single DE, I do not feel you should add additional PDK cooling. I'd plan to do the DE in cooler weather, summer temps at the SoCal tracks are ridiculous. If you enjoy your foray into DE's and plan to do more, I strongly suggest you add additional PDK cooling and plan to change PDK fluid on an accelerated schedule compared to Porsche's recommendation.

Hi temp brake fluid: 100%, do it. No brainer.

Cheers,
DJM

Quick Reply: Thoughts on supplemental cooling for a 991