Lithium-Ion Batteries Information by Antigravity

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Hi Everyone. Just an FYI that we'll be at Laguna Seca this week for the Porsche Rennsport Reunion along with our GT3 sporting the game changing RS-30 for viewing! We'll be located in the Expo section in booth P and have some great Antigravity products, merch, and be running some fantastic show specials! Hope to see you there!!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:07 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts

Reading the web site etc the RS-30 looks cool. Like the safe guards and especially the "sleep mode". But one thing caught my eye 'for use in' "NON FREEZING WEATHER......

What does that mean???
Old 10-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dan212
Reading the web site etc the RS-30 looks cool. Like the safe guards and especially the "sleep mode". But one thing caught my eye 'for use in' "NON FREEZING WEATHER......

What does that mean???
Hi dan212, to elaborate a little, Lithium batteries develop a higher resistance in very cold weather creating a more slugging start and that effect is more pronounced when the battery is smaller without sufficient amp hour capacity and power to overcome that effect. Such as in smaller motorcycle batteries. But when we are talking a battery like the RS-30 that has 30 amp hours of real lithium battery capacity, you get a lot more overhead in terms of the power available even in colder weather...even in 30° weather it would have no problem.... But we wanted to make clear the intention for this battery was not for freezing climates where snow and ice are present. The RS 30 is a "Sports Car" and "Hi-Performance" vehicle battery, it is intended to be used in climates where you drive a Sports Car or a Race Car normally...While some do drive in the snow.. and it can handle that...and we actually ran a RS-30 in our Tacoma in Big Bear CA in well below 30 degree weather last year without any issue....the main point is that it is not where we intended the battery to be used on a regular basis. Hopefully that helps clarify but please let us know if you have any other questions at all.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Dan991C4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Porsche GT4 Li Battery

Vehicle 2016 Porsche GT4

1) Is the OEM alternator charging rate low enough I do not have to worry low risk about creating a thermal runaway? As you battery gets older too?

Note: the $5K Porsche Li battery system requires reprograming of the car's electrical charging system. I not sure what perimeters they adjust in the code. I am of the thinking you address this with your built in battery management system. Please confirm.

2) If your battery shuts off, how will I open the front hood to turn it on with no power to activate the hood lock?

3) Can your wireless jump start remote be used to turn your battery on and off?

4) I will need your best rugged battery and mount able to take the shock and vibration and G forces of race track driving?

5) Is there any type of pre-testing that goes into the internal battery cell packs. I read that it is best to match lots of cells that accept charging a similar rate. Hazard looks to be is slow charging cells in the cell stack with high charing cell creates this inbalance could result in overheating of the faster charging cells. NASA is spending a lot of engineering time to develop battery selection criteria to reduce the battery thermal runaway hazard in space suits.

Thanks, this is good technical and safety discussion.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:20 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dan991C4
Vehicle 2016 Porsche GT4

1) Is the OEM alternator charging rate low enough I do not have to worry low risk about creating a thermal runaway? As you battery gets older too?

Note: the $5K Porsche Li battery system requires reprograming of the car's electrical charging system. I not sure what perimeters they adjust in the code. I am of the thinking you address this with your built in battery management system. Please confirm.

2) If your battery shuts off, how will I open the front hood to turn it on with no power to activate the hood lock?

3) Can your wireless jump start remote be used to turn your battery on and off?

4) I will need your best rugged battery and mount able to take the shock and vibration and G forces of race track driving?

5) Is there any type of pre-testing that goes into the internal battery cell packs. I read that it is best to match lots of cells that accept charging a similar rate. Hazard looks to be is slow charging cells in the cell stack with high charing cell creates this inbalance could result in overheating of the faster charging cells. NASA is spending a lot of engineering time to develop battery selection criteria to reduce the battery thermal runaway hazard in space suits.

Thanks, this is good technical and safety discussion.
EDIT- PLEASE NOTE I AM TALKING ABOUT THE LATEST GENERATION OF OUR BATTERIES.... THE PREVIOUS POSTS WERE FOR THE RS-30. The NEW Batteries are now in OEM SIZES and Feature our Wirless Jump Starting now. So it a NEWER Battery that was NOT previously discussed on this thread. Here is a Link to the Lastest Battery https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/

1- The OEM alternator on most every car built is standardized, but can vary some tenths of a volt to a volt. But in general NONE of the modern Automobile or 12v Vehicle systems will be charging over 15v. And that is the limit for lithium, and also with Lead. So they are usually charging around 14.4 to 14.8 with occasionally higher 14.9s seen. So this is all within the operating range of our battery... but addtionally we do have over-charge protections from any occasionaly spikes above 15v... the battery will be protected. So in a STOCK vehicle you will not have any issues.

Now in regards to setting up your coding. I have not changed the coding in my RS... and have not had any problem, and other HAVE changed the coding to the Lithium baattery which lowers the voltage output to the battery.... and THAT is also fine.... and in racing and with SUSTAINED high RPMs might even be more desirable for the Battery. But in either case they are BOTH within the operating range of our battery.

2- This is where the NEW Battery KICKS BUTT!!!! The new Wireless Keyfob (2 pcs provided with each battery) you just press the Wireless Keyfob and you now have power to the Battery again and therefore the entire car is energized and the Frunk can be opened, or you could just start the car and drive away. We retained the Button on the battery itself as a Manual Back-up in the event you lose or don't have the Keyfob. But if you operate the button manually you then have to TURN OFF the button manually again after you start your car. Where as if you use the REMOTE KEYFOB to activate the reserve it will automatically turn off after 10 minutes.

3- The NEW Wireless Remote CANNOT turn the battery on and off. The previous generation RS-30 could be turned on and off, but the new Battery CANNOT. This is because it has a different internal method of controlling the emergency Capacity used for Jump Starting. This also allows a deeper depth of discharge on the newer battery which for START/STOP systems works better. So it will always be ON now until it goes to sleep from over-discharge. But as I said it cannot be turned ON/OFF any more.

4- Not worried on this side at all...while Road Racing has extremely high vibration levels that can damage many products not made well , we come from the off-road side of things where there is the high-vibration accompanied by very large g-shocks from the jumps and similar obstacles occuring in Baja and many other forms of off-road.

5- Well good you know about this a bit... because the largest Lithium Brand in Road Racing , Braille, does not have any form of Cell Protections, or Balancing. Our Battery Management system has Over-charge, Over-discharge, Short-Circut, Themal protection AND Cell Balancing... so the Cells are balanced when ever the batteries are being charged, and discharged so that they are going up in down in the charge curve in the same time. Yes we know about cell matching, and that is done with our packs. About testing that is being done constantly and this product has been in development and testing well before we bring it to market. For example though we do alot of battery discharges and recharges on the bench to test for that and the over-discharge protection, I aslo have them in my personal Gt3RS and in our shop cars and trucks not to mention we have about 15 people we are sending all our preproduction and final production units to to run in a bunch of different cars. For example I have my Toyota Tacome, our Ford Escape, our Sprinter Van and many more using the batteries long term. So we try to test in most every different application. But some modern cars like the BMW want a Coding, which is fine but also a Registration of the battery by its code printed on the battery. WE don't have a Registration Code for our Batteries... that is a thing that some companies like BMW are wanting just so they can control what exactly goes in the car. But the fact is we have plenty how just use the Reg Code from the original battery and are good to go.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:39 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan991C4
It is worth pointing out that Porsche has a 60AH Lithium battery for under $1000 which is installed in the 2019 Cayenne. This new lithium battery from Porsche also has a BMS for low voltage protection although it doesn't have the jump start feature of the Antigravity battery. Nonetheless it is one of the best values out there in terms of price for capacity. I think it is around $800.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:58 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
EDIT- PLEASE NOTE I AM TALKING ABOUT THE LATEST GENERATION OF OUR BATTERIES.... THE PREVIOUS POSTS WERE FOR THE RS-30. The NEW Batteries are now in OEM SIZES and Feature our Wirless Jump Starting now. So it a NEWER Battery that was NOT previously discussed on this thread. Here is a Link to the Lastest Battery https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/

1- The OEM alternator on most every car built is standardized, but can vary some tenths of a volt to a volt. But in general NONE of the modern Automobile or 12v Vehicle systems will be charging over 15v. And that is the limit for lithium, and also with Lead. So they are usually charging around 14.4 to 14.8 with occasionally higher 14.9s seen. So this is all within the operating range of our battery... but addtionally we do have over-charge protections from any occasionaly spikes above 15v... the battery will be protected. So in a STOCK vehicle you will not have any issues.

Now in regards to setting up your coding. I have not changed the coding in my RS... and have not had any problem, and other HAVE changed the coding to the Lithium baattery which lowers the voltage output to the battery.... and THAT is also fine.... and in racing and with SUSTAINED high RPMs might even be more desirable for the Battery. But in either case they are BOTH within the operating range of our battery.

2- This is where the NEW Battery KICKS BUTT!!!! The new Wireless Keyfob (2 pcs provided with each battery) you just press the Wireless Keyfob and you now have power to the Battery again and therefore the entire car is energized and the Frunk can be opened, or you could just start the car and drive away. We retained the Button on the battery itself as a Manual Back-up in the event you lose or don't have the Keyfob. But if you operate the button manually you then have to TURN OFF the button manually again after you start your car. Where as if you use the REMOTE KEYFOB to activate the reserve it will automatically turn off after 10 minutes.

3- The NEW Wireless Remote CANNOT turn the battery on and off. The previous generation RS-30 could be turned on and off, but the new Battery CANNOT. This is because it has a different internal method of controlling the emergency Capacity used for Jump Starting. This also allows a deeper depth of discharge on the newer battery which for START/STOP systems works better. So it will always be ON now until it goes to sleep from over-discharge. But as I said it cannot be turned ON/OFF any more.

4- Not worried on this side at all...while Road Racing has extremely high vibration levels that can damage many products not made well , we come from the off-road side of things where there is the high-vibration accompanied by very large g-shocks from the jumps and similar obstacles occuring in Baja and many other forms of off-road.

5- Well good you know about this a bit... because the largest Lithium Brand in Road Racing , Braille, does not have any form of Cell Protections, or Balancing. Our Battery Management system has Over-charge, Over-discharge, Short-Circut, Themal protection AND Cell Balancing... so the Cells are balanced when ever the batteries are being charged, and discharged so that they are going up in down in the charge curve in the same time. Yes we know about cell matching, and that is done with our packs. About testing that is being done constantly and this product has been in development and testing well before we bring it to market. For example though we do alot of battery discharges and recharges on the bench to test for that and the over-discharge protection, I aslo have them in my personal Gt3RS and in our shop cars and trucks not to mention we have about 15 people we are sending all our preproduction and final production units to to run in a bunch of different cars. For example I have my Toyota Tacome, our Ford Escape, our Sprinter Van and many more using the batteries long term. So we try to test in most every different application. But some modern cars like the BMW want a Coding, which is fine but also a Registration of the battery by its code printed on the battery. WE don't have a Registration Code for our Batteries... that is a thing that some companies like BMW are wanting just so they can control what exactly goes in the car. But the fact is we have plenty how just use the Reg Code from the original battery and are good to go.
I ordered one last week, cant wait to get it!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I ordered one last week, cant wait to get it!
Thanks and Keep in touch with it...

My email is Scott@antigravitybatteries.com if you have any questions. Also if you email I can forward you the PDFs for the Users Manuals. They should be in the boxes as printed versions, but its good to have them on PDF. The PDFs will also be up on the website in a few days.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
It is worth pointing out that Porsche has a 60AH Lithium battery for under $1000 which is installed in the 2019 Cayenne. This new lithium battery from Porsche also has a BMS for low voltage protection although it doesn't have the jump start feature of the Antigravity battery. Nonetheless it is one of the best values out there in terms of price for capacity. I think it is around $800.
I think its great for some of the Car Manufacturers to be offering Lithium Batteries now... it only make it more mainstream.

But at 60Ah for a Performance Car you will not be getting quite the weight reduction for a Performance Vehicle IF that that is what you are after. For example a 60Ah will weigh almost twice what a 30Ah would. But it depends on the application a User wants the battery for. 60Ah would be fine if you have a bunch of high draw electronics that create Parasitic Drains on the car and want to keep it in storage a long time without over-discharge. But to get the dramatic weight loss it's not really there, and most Sports Cars don't need nearly 60Ah.

One of the main benefits of our RE-START feature is being able to open the frunk even if you over-discharge the battery, and to be able to start the car again and not be stranded even after a battery went dead.. So that's where the User will have to determine what they want. We are developing some larger Ah products too... but for most SUV owners and regular passenger Car owners the benefits of lightweight aren't as much of a consideration, so they will balk at the price. But for a Sports Car losing 35 lbs is tremendous and the cost is well worth it being you can't dropl 35lbs of weight anywhere as cheaply as lithium.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well you had me scratching my head when you said a Price of $800 dollars. I was thinking "how could Porsche be making a 60Ah battery for $800.... when Antigravity ourselves could not pull that off at all."

So I called the Porsche Parts Department and was told a price of $1866.00 dollars List Price for the 2019 Cayenne Lithium Battery.

And that was for Part# 9YO 915 105 JY for those who might want one.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:15 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I think its great for some of the Car Manufacturers to be offering Lithium Batteries now... it only make it more mainstream.

But at 60Ah for a Performance Car you will not be getting quite the weight reduction for a Performance Vehicle IF that that is what you are after. For example a 60Ah will weigh almost twice what a 30Ah would. But it depends on the application a User wants the battery for. 60Ah would be fine if you have a bunch of high draw electronics that create Parasitic Drains on the car and want to keep it in storage a long time without over-discharge. But to get the dramatic weight loss it's not really there, and most Sports Cars don't need nearly 60Ah.

One of the main benefits of our RE-START feature is being able to open the frunk even if you over-discharge the battery, and to be able to start the car again and not be stranded even after a battery went dead.. So that's where the User will have to determine what they want. We are developing some larger Ah products too... but for most SUV owners and regular passenger Car owners the benefits of lightweight aren't as much of a consideration, so they will balk at the price. But for a Sports Car losing 35 lbs is tremendous and the cost is well worth it being you can't dropl 35lbs of weight anywhere as cheaply as lithium.
You don't buy a 911 Turbo S if you want light weight. You would buy a GT3. Personally I would prefer a larger battery closer to OEM. There is still a large weight saving and you get a better more advanced battery.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You don't buy a 911 Turbo S if you want light weight. You would buy a GT3. Personally I would prefer a larger battery closer to OEM. There is still a large weight saving and you get a better more advanced battery.
I think you would have over 75% of the Turbo owners disagreeing with you actually. We work with a lot of them...they would LOVE the Turbo to be lighter. The Turbo guys are heavily into Speed, just as much as the GT3 guys , and often do MORE modifications and tuning to their motors than the GT3 guys. The Turbo is arguably just as fast around a track if dialed-in and definitely much faster in a straight line that a GT3. I'm a GT3 RS owner who speaks to a lot of Turbo guys, so I feel qualified to make that statement.

Here a Turbo Guy who uses our Stuff.... check out this Thread....Worlds Fastest...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ons-asked.html

As far as your statement that "I would prefer an OEM battery...." I agree with you, a person should choose what you want and get that product.

But I disagree with you on the statement when you say "you get a better more advanced battery." The Porsche history with Lithium-Ion batteries to date has be quite dismal... Their $4000 dollar Lithium Battery for the GT3 was a disaster with over 50% failure rate, and they took it off the market. Currently they are having what might be potential issues in the Cayenne new Lithium Battery. Though that will take some time to see what is the real issue there. So I'm just saying OEM does not mean "better" or else there would be no aftermarket products, right? And I don't see that the big Auto Manufacturers have incorporated Built-In Wireless Jump-Starting as we have... so who is ACTUALLY more advanced?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

+ 1 for these batteries, I FINALLY got to use the "Jumpstart" feature... Left my ignition on in the racecar and dead.... got out of the car and was going to get the jump box... then I remembered the feature.. Pressed the button on the battery and Presto... Fired right up... I can believe how light these batteries are and how well it works... These are WAY lighter than the old style "Mini" Batteries.. cant say enough about them!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Good feedback!

A few months myself on the battery and couldn't be happier. I have left the car parked to up to 10 days and no I'll effects whatsoever! It just starts right up.

Of course I re wired my Blackvue dashcam to turn on only with the key because I was too lazy to install the battery pack that actually weights a couple of pounds on its own(!) but I see no voltage issues that I can identify... super happy customer!
Old 06-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GPA951s
+ 1 for these batteries, I FINALLY got to use the "Jumpstart" feature... Left my ignition on in the racecar and dead.... got out of the car and was going to get the jump box... then I remembered the feature.. Pressed the button on the battery and Presto... Fired right up... I can believe how light these batteries are and how well it works... These are WAY lighter than the old style "Mini" Batteries.. cant say enough about them!
Originally Posted by kouzman
Good feedback!

A few months myself on the battery and couldn't be happier. I have left the car parked to up to 10 days and no I'll effects whatsoever! It just starts right up.

Of course I re wired my Blackvue dashcam to turn on only with the key because I was too lazy to install the battery pack that actually weights a couple of pounds on its own(!) but I see no voltage issues that I can identify... super happy customer!
Always happy to hear the results and positive feedback guys! Thank you! Can you tell us a little more up the set ups on your cars and which battery you are using?

Quick Reply: Lithium-Ion Batteries Information by Antigravity