Notices

991 911 Turbo ECU/PDK Cobb tune review (Tune from ByDesign Automotive Group.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM
BigGenerator
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 991 911 Turbo ECU/PDK Cobb tune review (Tune from ByDesign Automotive Group.)

I just did a stage 1 ECU/PDK tune in my 991 911 turbo. The results in performance increase are amazing, and the process (that could have been very complex) was made super simple by great support and knowledge by Sam Ahdoot at ByDesign Automotive Group. https://www.bydesignauto.com/

Here’s the process:
-After a good conversation about every aspect of tuning a 991, Sam overnighted me the Cobb Accessport, pre-loaded with performance maps.
-I Plugged in the Accessport to the car’s OBD port, and followed instructions...
-First, the car’s native tune map is downloaded and saved to the Accessport. This takes about 7 minutes.
-Next I uploaded the stage one performance map/tune. I called Sam a few times with questions as there are lots of things the car does with lights, warnings, fans running, etc as it’s uploading a new map. The ECU tuning map loaded on about 10 minutes.
-Next I selected the PDK map upload. I had some concerns about uploading a PDK tune as I’d seen a few threads with people had mixed feelings in the beginning. (Later, I came to find that Sam was in contact with them and helped them sort everything out in the end as these cars are all a little different when it comes to coach condition.) Sam had called to check on how things were going, and he assured me to try it out. The PDK upload finished in about 10 minutes.
-Next was test drive time!
I could immediately feel the performance increase! But, I felt the downshifts could be smoother. Sam talked me through adapting the PDK (This amounts to slowly accelerating to about 55 miles an hour and slowly decelerating a few times. No biggie.) Further, Sam sent me another Accessport link to do a complete PDK calibration. (The guy is incredibly proactive and responsive.) This was pretty simple...just plugged in the Accessport again, and the software does a complete PDK calibration based on every aspect of the car’s PDK, clutch, etc. (When doing this, you leave the car running in park, and can hear the car calibrating the transmission. It’s pretty interesting.). Upon finishing, my car had a perfect PDK software tune, tailored per my car’s PDK, clutch, etc.

The end result, is nothing short of spectacular! I got a serious great increase, and the car drives absolutely perfectly. Acceleration is smooth and bombastic. PDK shifts are perfect, fast and smooth.

I’m really glad I picked Cobb/By Design and can’t thank Sambo enough for all the support, and making things so easy.
It’s pretty incredible to decide to do a tune and get it done the next day in the comfort of my driveway.
Amazing product from Cobb and amazing execution from Sam.
I know who I’m going to call when it’s time to go to stage 2, 3 and 4. ;-)

The following users liked this post:
ByDesign991.1TT (09-24-2022)
Old 01-30-2018, 11:06 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Looks like you went an awesome route choosing Sam and the ECU/PDK tune. Enjoy the car and Happy Boosting!

-Charles

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 01-15-2019, 07:10 PM
ashl777
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I have 997.2 turbo giac tune and 991.1turbo s cab giac tune. On 997 big difference. Had it 3 days on track and only once had “limp” mode where turbos seemed ro not come in strong. Had to cool down a bit then it was fine. My problem is with 991.1 tune. It didnt feel as strong and the giac agent in south africa said i can only load 1 map(pump i did). I cannot revert back to factory load as there is now space on eeprom according to him. I dont feel this is right. Any experts on giac on this forums? Also need to know my upgrade path to stage 1 and 2. Does this entail diffirent intercoolers ,decat and specific exhaust? What power increase on each step?

Quick Reply: 991 911 Turbo ECU/PDK Cobb tune review (Tune from ByDesign Automotive Group.)