Tilton Pedal Assy

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:36 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Tilton Pedal Assy

Anyone used a Tilton Pedal Assy on their car? This has adjustable bias bar, and provisions for remote adjuster. Uses 3 individual master cylinders. Was thinking of going this way for the adjustment factor on my 951. I may have some fabricating to do to get it to fit around the steering column, but that may be favorable to spending the big bucks on the Kokeln unit.

Milledge has a customer going with the AP floor mounted pedal assy, this has been moved rearward (along with the seat and wheel) for more rearward weight bias. The AP unit uses an electronic stepper motor to make it's brake bias adjustments. There is a memory provision too (nice). Alas, this seems to be out of my budget, by a large margin.

Can anyone show me the way to figure out the math on bore size selection? Car is a lightened 951, big reds all 4 corners, stock bodywork (so far) with 245's front and 275's rear. Front splitter, and going to go with rear wing.

TIA,

CK
Old 12-12-2003, 09:27 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do but it’s a 911 with Wilwood fronts and 930 rears, I use griling masters, on both the brakes and the clutch. Once we adjusted the bias bar, with the remote we just marked it and quit playing with it.
Call Craig at http://www.taylor-race.com he’s one of the owners, ex racer, great company. They will be more than have to help you figure out what you need to know. (Just a very happy customer)
Old 12-12-2003, 11:43 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Thanks MJ!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:20 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dude;

If you are to go to this extreme, the Tilton is definitely the way to go. Why pay way more for the same thing (Kokeln), or get stuff that is a potential PITA (AP).

I don't know the ID of a 944 cylinder, but most 911 guys use 19mm. That is what I used on Project GT3S911 (bigger brakes, WAAAAY faster!).

The real problem is fabricating the mounting, as getting up under the dash is tricky. Most guys doing this mod cut out the top of the cowl panel to ease access. Obviously, this is in serious GT cars. This is one time the floor mount pedals might make sense. Then again, to me they didn't make any sense even in a Beetle. Dumb!

Methinks this is a bit of an extreme upgrade for a car that is essentially stock. Can't find anything else to spend your time and money on?

www.redlinerennsport.com
Old 01-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Bob Patterson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CK: I did a lot of research this last summer - and built one for my GT-3 car that utilized the firewall mounting location, with a fabricated aluminum bracket that uses the stock pedal assembly. Angled the bracket to reflect the average thrust angle of the pedal rods, and the MC's use the space formerly occupied by the brake booster. No messy cabin tear-ups, though this took a lot of fiddling. The brake bias **** is mounted in a custom center consul.

If I could figure out how to attach photos, I'd be happy to. I'm rather new to the forum game, and someone needs to give me a pointer on how to post a photo.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-04-2004, 11:07 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies! I have sourced the tilton firewall mounted pedal assy, and it looks like it may work with a little fabrication.

John: Found out that the setup for at least some racers is a 3/4" master cylinder (roughly 19mm), tilton doesn't do metric!

The Kokeln unit is stupid overpriced, agreed!

You make a large assumption that my car is "essentially stock". There is a reason I'm going to the trouble of going with tilton assy, MC, and -3 AN lines and fittings. I don't have the major bucks that most of the guys on rennlist do, but that doesn't mean I can't do a ton of stuff myself! I turn all the wrenches on my 951. I do all the fabrication, welding, painting (quite good I may add), wiring, tuning, etc...

My baby may not ever be the fastest 951 around, but I'll be damned if it's not going to be the best prepared around. There's the best way to tackle my problem, and that's what I'm doing!

Bob: Are you using the quick reply, or "post reply" to post? The "post reply" function gives you the opportunity to attach an image. The size is pretty limited so you may need to reduce the image's pixel count.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Tilton Pedal Assy

[Can anyone show me the way to figure out the math on bore size selection? Car is a lightened 951, big reds all 4 corners, stock bodywork (so far) with 245's front and 275's rear. Front splitter, and going to go with rear wing.

TIA,

CK [/B][/QUOTE]

try behrent's at 845 651 7389.....these guys write the book on this stuff....primarily in circle racing......i did a full tube frame 914 a few years ago and used the tilton package.....a little tricky in the set up....ultimately used two pressure gauges to figure out exactly what was going on with bias.....the equipment was top notch.....the help i got from them was exceptional.......unless you are going "no compromise all out racing" i suggest you stick to some form of the stock set up....the difference in lap times is not worth the effort for anything less.....
Old 01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Mike:

Thanks for the info!

BTW, I don't mind the effort.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:07 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Any updates? (Yeah I know I dragged this one outta the abyss)

Sam
Old 08-19-2004, 09:33 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Any updates? (Yeah I know I dragged this one outta the abyss)

Sam
Sam:

What do you want to know? I have the pedal assy, but due to my pending work change (going overseas beginning this weekend for 1 year), I really haven't been wrenching on the car as much as I'd like to.

The side benefit here is when I get back, I'll have a ton of both time and money to throw at my car. Plans now are to make it into a full blown GT-3 blaster, wide bodywork, triple adjustables with resevoirs, the works. In other words, something that would benefit from adjustable brake bias (right John? <vbg>).

Hopefully I'll be able to access this site from my work zone.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was wondering which Tilton assembly you decided on, and how the fit looks just eyeballing it. Also, any preferred source for Tilton? - I've recently turned my attention to my brakes as well, and besides hearing about the Kokeln setup being too expensive, I've not even been able to find it for sale anywhere. I'm also the type that prefers to experiment instead of buy and bolt-in, so any info you can provide is much appreciated.

It sounds like your car'll be amazing once you get back - mine's not quite as advanced, but I've never been one to say "good enough" in each thing I mod, so I'm shooting for overkill here as well. Where's overseas taking you?

Thanks, and good luck!
Sam
Old 08-20-2004, 07:02 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Sam:

I used the firewall mounted assy. This requires some mod's to the steering wheel support, but I'd rather do that than have the master cylinders under the dash as with the overhung pedals.

I got mine from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies. They have good customer service.

Where to overseas??? Let's just say it'll be hot in more ways than one.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info! Pegasus is awesome, and I just noticed they've got a new site - that's great news, their site was their weakest aspect before.

I get a rough idea of where you're off to - take care of yourself, I hope everything goes safely and smoothly for you.

Sam

Quick Reply: Tilton Pedal Assy