building a fun-engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 AM
Swede2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a fun-engine

Have a 930 with a really nice fully restored 400+ group B engine

But I'm thinking of doing something fun with a N/A 911 engine during the winter.
There's plenty of engines from the early 70's laying around for 1000$
So how about putting together a low budget twin turbo engine.. mostly from things one can pick up from the junkyard..together with a nice EFI-system. and home-made manifold .. intercoolers.. exhaust.

O love working with turbocharging and this project would not be intended for durability and reliability.. just something to do for fun during cold winternights. If the engine blows up after a few hours.. well ..ok.

The question i have is what engine would best suite my purpose?
What would be the best(cheapest) way to lower the compression?

For exampel The 2,4 S had 8,5:1 in compression.. a 1mm distance under each cylinder (and of course the cam-housing) would lower it to 7,7:1 (if my calculations is correct) But if i would like to go down to something like 7,0:1 on a 2,2 2,4 or 2,7 engine?

Have any of you guys done it before and can give me some tips?
/Johan
Old 12-09-2003, 08:16 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Sorry I can't answer your questions. I have never heard about reducing the CR in any way except for changing the bottom end components (pistons, con rods, crankshaft).

What part of Sweden are you in? I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty helping you out one day, if you are not too far away!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Swede2
2nd Gear

Hi Graham,

In Karlskoga.. right in the middle

I notify you when I get started on this project. Got some good tips at C2Turbo.com.

Either i go with a 2,4 that i just found for sale..put it new flat pistons.. or i put together a crazy engine with a mix of case, cranks and cylinders from different years.

Will use the original headers.. put the turbos(T3's with integrated WG) at the ends. High up so i can solve the oil feeding issue with gravity.
Fabricate plenums.. use SDS EFI...

Old 01-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Homegrown
Track Day

Hallo Swede2
You maybe should try too pick a 2.4T engine 7.5:1 in compression ratio othervise same valve size as almost every up til 2.7 engine 46/40 but smaller portdiameters and milder cams,webers but I belive you will goo for a standalone system anyway.This engines produse 140hp as standard.

Also Swedish

Quick Reply: building a fun-engine