Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

911 Sport Seats - free to good home obo

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 911 Sport Seats - free to good home obo

Category: Accessories
Price (no $ sign please): $0
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 911
Location (Region): South
Item Condition: Used

I replaced the sport seats in my '79 SC with some Recaros that would accept 5 point harnesses. The sports seats are now taking up space in my garage and if someone has a use for them, I am willing to let them go.

The seats are pretty worn and faded, especially the driver's side. Back in the day, a previous owner took a knife to the uprights on the driver's side so it would accept a harness. Some of the hardware is missing too, like the lever on the driver's side that one lifts to move the seat back allowing access to the rear seats. The drivers seat upholstery has worn in places to the extent that the foam was crumbling and scattering around the car interior.

That being said, if you've never spent time in sport seats, I found these to be exceedingly supportive and comfortable despite their worn condition. I've used them in several DEs and have taken a few trips in them from 800 to 1500 miels and liked them. The thigh bolsters were noticeably snug whenever I first sat in the seats, but I would forget about them after a few miles.

If it weren't for tracking the car and wanting a 5 point harness, I probably would have either rebuilt these or got some Sparco touring seats.

If you considered getting sport seats for your 911, rebuilding these might be the way to go. I am not looking to make any money off of these seats, but might be interested in mutually agreeable compensation if I have to mess with shipping them.

I am located in extreme SW Tennessee. The driver's seat is partially shown in the photo below (taken about 12 months before I removed it). I'd have snapped some more recent pics, but the weather is crummy and this was sort of an impulse post.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:34 PM
a320
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take your seats. My zip is 14865, paypal address, I'll send you the shipping cost.

Thanks Phil
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 AM
drb930
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

2nd in line....
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by drb930
2nd in line....
Originally Posted by a320
I'll take your seats. My zip is 14865, paypal address, I'll send you the shipping cost.

Thanks Phil
PM sent Phil.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoever does get these seats, if you plan to re-do them and will be getting rid of the striped insert, please let me know and PM me. I have a 928 interior with this fabric and I need a couple of pieces to repair the rear seats. It is hard to find.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Alansd
1st Gear

if this deal does not go through please add me to the interested list...thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:09 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by DougM
Whoever does get these seats, if you plan to re-do them and will be getting rid of the striped insert, please let me know and PM me. I have a 928 interior with this fabric and I need a couple of pieces to repair the rear seats. It is hard to find.
I've thought about deleting the rear seat. That would yield a lot of striped fabric. With the harness bar in place, the rear seat has become functionally obsolete (not that I ever used it for hauling people anyway). I'm not sure if I'd miss it or not for sound insulation purposes, especially since the car is gravitating more towards track duty (and maybe PCA D if I decide to take it that far someday).
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Thanks Phil
I plan to take them Saturday to these people:

http://mailcentermemphis.com/shipping.html

Do you have any preference with respect to carrier? They aren't too heavy but of course they are bulky.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bluetick
I've thought about deleting the rear seat. That would yield a lot of striped fabric. With the harness bar in place, the rear seat has become functionally obsolete (not that I ever used it for hauling people anyway). I'm not sure if I'd miss it or not for sound insulation purposes, especially since the car is gravitating more towards track duty (and maybe PCA D if I decide to take it that far someday).
Let me know if you do. I would make good use of the fabric. It is black/white stripes? Correct? I know sometimes the flash makes it look blue.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Thanks Phil
Originally Posted by DougM
Let me know if you do. I would make good use of the fabric. It is black/white stripes? Correct? I know sometimes the flash makes it look blue.
Presumably it is black/white, but the front seats have faded to a sort of greenish hue in places. The rear seats appear black/white and presumably haven't faded much as they have spent a lot of time folded down (and out of direct sunlight).
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

That is fine. Just let me know if you decide to get rid of them.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
drb930
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So the front seats are gone?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by drb930
So the front seats are gone?
The front seats are not gone.... yet.

A320 and I have made contact. As far as I know, he is still interested in acquiring them. My plan is to take them at my earliest convenience (sometime this Saturday, 1/5/13) to a place locally for a quote on packaging and shipping them to him. Assuming at that time that he still wants the seats and pays me for the packing and shipping, I'll send them to him.

Otherwise....

After A320 posted a reply asking for the seats, but prior to you (drb930) expressing interest in them, I received a PM from Chino911 asking for the seats. So, unless I am ignorant of some protocol or rule to the contrary, Chino911 is 2nd in line, followed by you (drd930) and finally Alansd. I apologize for not making that clear sooner.

Chino911 is pressuring me hard too. He is offering cash. But the deal really was for free seats and I plan to stick to that (at least through Alansd if it comes to that, then I may reconsider). If only I'd realized they were going to be this popular, I would have sold them to begin with!

Also, I apologized to Chino911 and offer the same apology to anyone else if the "obo" caused confusion. I meant for that to be tongue-in-cheek. The seats were offered in good faith for free, but I was reserving the right to negotiate compensation if it appeared that packing and shipping the seats would be a pain in the *** for me. As it turns out, this should not be an issue for me if I use the local vendor I have in mind. (I'm not a volume seller of big stuff. I have never tried to give away or ship something like this before. Apparently it is easier than I envisioned).

So that's the status of the front seats at this time. The status should change sometime on Saturday, provided that A320 and I don't run into any communication difficulties.

Finally, after I made the original post offering the seats, I then noticed the pinned post in the Parts Marketplace with instructions for giving away free stuff. Evidently I broke the rules by posting this offer in the Parts Marketplace. For that, I humbly apologize to the forum hosts, moderators, and users.

Scott
Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

go to u-hual and buy 2 wardrobe boxes. drop the seats in wrapped in old blankets and tape them up good. take them to greyhound and ship by bus. cheapest way to ship seats
Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM
leonl
Advanced

Please add me to the line after all the ppl above
I can pick up or I have a branch in Memphis you can just drop off.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: 911 Sport Seats - free to good home obo