Panamera 2010-Current

2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo vs 2016 Rolls Royce Wraith

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:08 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo vs 2016 Rolls Royce Wraith

I am considering buying a new exotic vehicle later this year, and have pondered about this question for quite some time.

Which would be a more enjoyable and satisfying car for me to purchase?

I am looking to buy something really really special for myself and my friends to enjoy, and have come down to the conclusion that the only 2 cars I wish to choose from would be the new generation Panamera Turbo vs a used Rolls Royce Wraith. I am intending on using either as a serious DAILY DRIVER

Rolls Royce Wraith advantages:
-it's a Rolls Royce, and as a car enthusiast, i think uniqueness of the brand is a super cool thing
-super smooth ride quality. i live in tampa, and the roads here are kinda ****ty a lot of the times. im sick and tired of riding around in my porsche cayman which is kind of a jolty vehicle after over 2 years of driving it here
-very comfortable. most of the times, ill just be stuck in traffic blasting air conditioning.
-perfect car for going around town and showing to people who thought i wasnt going to be ****

Rolls Royce disadvantages:
-cost to repair items when its finally out of warranty. could be thousands just for a broken tail light
-very long hood for the car. makes it hard to see around corners and driving, even though i know that they have side cameras to see around corners
-massive size. ding-world, here i come. the thought of parking this in a crowded parking lot doesn't really excite me
-doors that open outwards in a reverse-manner. makes it tough to get out of the car in crowded parking lots.
-braking quality is slightly sub-par due to massive size and weight of vehicle.

Porsche Panamera turbo advantages:
-cheaper than the Rolls Royce. perhaps about $70,000 cheaper
-it's the sportiest sedan you can get today and is super fast. handles about as well as a car in its segment will handle. the thought of driving a porsche sedan that can go from 0-60 in 3.6 seconds during nighttime cruising is kind of exciting.
-looks cool and classy
-presumably the cost of maintenance will be cheaper than the Rolls Royce, and serviceability is easier
-can seat 2 extra people more comfortable rather than fit 2 in the Rolls Royce coupe
-sounds better with a sporty exhaust system
-more practical in general. i do not have a family or kids to haul around

Porsche Panamera turbo disadvantages:
-not as unique as the rolls royce
-ride quality is not as comfortable, but then again, its purpose of design is a totally different animal so that is to be expected.
-seems like a common car to see on the road sometimes. i get the general impression that these cars are mostly purchased and driven by well-to-do doctors, lawyers and their spouses, whereas the rolls royce owner is a total question mark. it lacks the mystique that the rolls would inspire

I'm looking at an out-the-door price of $240,000 for the 2016 Rolls Royce Wraith, and $175,000 for the 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo

just looking for raw, unbiased opinions (which might be tough since obviously everyone on this forum has a liking for porsches).

i am a 28 year old man in florida who just wants something really special. not looking to impress people or women. in fact, wanting to do quite the opposite.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think that this is a no brainer. .
The Panamera Turbo will be on the most current platform and have the latest technologies. I am sure that there are a variety of opinions about the Wraith, but I am not a fan of shape or doors.
What would I do for something unique - spend about 10K extra and do paint/interior using Porsche's paint to sample/leather to sample program.
Good luck - fellow floridian
Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Originally Posted by Jonathan Lord
Think that this is a no brainer. .
The Panamera Turbo will be on the most current platform and have the latest technologies. I am sure that there are a variety of opinions about the Wraith, but I am not a fan of shape or doors.
What would I do for something unique - spend about 10K extra and do paint/interior using Porsche's paint to sample/leather to sample program.
Good luck - fellow floridian
your response is appreciated
i think im going to have to agree with you on this one

my general impression of the new panamera when i saw it at the local dealership yesterday was that the old vs new one look extremely similar. almost couldnt tell the difference. also, i think the old panamera interior looked even nicer and classier than the new one, but we will see as time goes and opinions change

also, i dislike black exteriors in photos, but in person, the black looks good and slick versus the white new panamera which i thought looked odd

im thinking a darker paint should be used for this larger vehicle. that or bright lime green wpuld be a silly color (or yellow)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Dark colors and light interior is what they are showing at car shows.
If I did PTS - I would think about racing green and cognac - but I didn't have the time in order to move from one lease to another. I am finishing 3 years with an S65 done in the same color combo that Mercedes used to intro the car at the Detroit Auto Show
Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Want something really special and unique? Panamera TT with Sport Turismo body in PTS.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I'd buy the Porsche. I think the RR is a a bit of a cartoon and drives like a yacht.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Rolls is winning in your mind, maybe waiting for the new Bentley based on the Panamera platform would better.

For me it comes down to the Rolls is way too visible sign of wealth. Great if you are wanting to flaunt it, not so great if you don't. The Panamera is much more subtle
Old 04-20-2017, 04:05 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO for most of us Porsche fans...this is a no-brainer..even if they were the same price.

"not looking to impress people or women. in fact, wanting to do quite the opposite." your quote seems contradictory to some of the benefits of a Rolls..
Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

ive decided on the panamera for a number of reasons. it would actually be uncomfortable for me to drive the wraith which would defeat the whole purpose of getting fast but comfortable daily driver.

here's a configuration i came up with that you guys might like. let me know what you think. i think the Chalk exterior looks nasty as **** (this paint color is called 'Crayon' for the porsches sold in europe apparently). I also have the 21 inch high gloss black wheels.

click on link below to see what i built
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJIHEVR5
Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

two thumbs up. . with a couple of suggestions
1) go with black/chalk interior
2) Consider adding thermal/noise windows, leather trim for steering column, illuminated sills
Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Originally Posted by Jonathan Lord
two thumbs up. . with a couple of suggestions
1) go with black/chalk interior
2) Consider adding thermal/noise windows, leather trim for steering column, illuminated sills
Will the black exterior make the car too hot during the summer months in florida? I'm getting a light colored interior no matter what, and i believe its the color of the interior that matters more than the paint.

I will consider jet black.

The thermal/noise windows might be a complete waste for me as i would like to hear the sounds outside from the engine note, and the warm weather in florida doesnt give me much concern for holding in heat.

Leather trim for steering column is a good idea.

The personalized illuminated sills - can I get Porsche to write anything I want to on them? Also, are the actual aluminum sills illuminated from inside? How do they look? will research on youtube for the illuminated sills
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The thermal/noise windows keep heat from the sun out of the car.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
The thermal/noise windows keep heat from the sun out of the car.
yes i just read that

i should add this on because it deflects more radiation too
Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Not personalized. . but with model on sills - illuminate when you open door.
All good. . Crayon (Chalk) plus black/chalk interior would be cool
Cheers
Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Silly goose - I went with the black/chalk interior with the leather trim on steering column (you can sort of see it in this pic) - its personal taste but I would recommend it.

Quick Reply: 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo vs 2016 Rolls Royce Wraith