Panamera 2010-Current

So conflicted about color

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 PM
kotsumu
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So conflicted about color

I have a P4 on order. Carrara white, tinted rear lights, 21' black rims, black window trims.

I'm conflicted about whether I want the Carrara white or jet black metallic or volcano grey color. Also conflicted about the black rims or if I should go with the 911 turbo rims!

Helpppppp
Old 03-31-2017, 08:27 AM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So much of this is personal. Think that the car looks better in darker colors - combination of height and length. . among the darker colors think that straight black looks better than the jet black (cleaner, clearer look).
On rims - really about statement - I generally think about the lights and wheels as the "jewelry" on the car. Clearly, Porsche dressed their intro cars in a couple of combinations - Volcano with 21 911 Turbo wheels and Sapphire with Sport Wheels.
Not sure any of that helped
Old 03-31-2017, 01:36 PM
bunratty
AutoX

I went with straight black, blacked out side window trim and high gloss black rims. Scheduled to pick the car up in about a week or so. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bunratty
I went with straight black, blacked out side window trim and high gloss black rims. Scheduled to pick the car up in about a week or so. Good luck!
what's the difference between the metallic and straight black? I would've thought the metallic black is more desirable, especially when coming to sell it.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:09 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

You might want to take into consideration that swirls on the paint are much more visible on the darker colors. I have yachting blue which shows swirls if you really look for them (I first saw them last week on my 4.5 year old car) but it's nothing like black which shows them even if you're not inspecting it closely.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not personal at all. Pick orange.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:48 PM
jimand7
Instructor

well i chose volcanoe grey...its bad ****
Old 03-31-2017, 06:19 PM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

I like Volcano Grey in brighter light, but worry its too dark for the mostly overcast PNW.

I hate blue, but the metalic blue looks pretty good.

and certainly the Turbo S video sold me on white being a top choice.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:50 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thorfun. . my SA said that the metallic black looks "dirtier" than the clear black - even after a wash
Old 03-31-2017, 07:10 PM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Lord
Thorfun. . my SA said that the metallic black looks "dirtier" than the clear black - even after a wash
Interesting! Especially as the metallic is more expensive.

Think I need to head to the dealers to see the difference on other models.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:44 PM
kotsumu
Track Day

Originally Posted by bunratty
I really want to do that too! I'm worried that black is too hard to maintain, does getting clear bra help maintenance on a black car?

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
You might want to take into consideration that swirls on the paint are much more visible on the darker colors. I have yachting blue which shows swirls if you really look for them (I first saw them last week on my 4.5 year old car) but it's nothing like black which shows them even if you're not inspecting it closely.
Would getting a clear bra be less susceptible to swirls?

Does anyone know if the black wheels are more maintenance? Less durable?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:33 AM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

Nope, black wheels are pretty golden for upkeep as long as you keep from the curbs. My GT350 has black wheels just because the front brakes make all the dust. I'd still hit them with your choice of paint protection to make cleaning easier.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:12 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with staying away from dark colors. I went from white to dark blue and I hate the swirls that keep coming back after polishing them out. Porsche paint is so soft and IMO very sensitive to swirls etc... Some people may not care. Next lease will be a light color again for me.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, clear bra, or paint protection film, can allow you to enjoy a dark painted car without the issue of paint swirls.

My black 997 has been Xpel protected for the five years which I have owned it. Of course, it still shows dirt much more than a white or silver car but when I clean it up it looks amazing.

For me, it was the best decision as I love the look of black car but drive it daily, have to park outside at work and don't want to be forever polishing in order to maintain the shine.

Last edited by Big C; 05-02-2018 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-02-2017, 01:55 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by kotsumu
I have a P4 on order. Carrara white, tinted rear lights, 21' black rims, black window trims.

I'm conflicted about whether I want the Carrara white or jet black metallic or volcano grey color. Also conflicted about the black rims or if I should go with the 911 turbo rims!

Helpppppp
Order this exactly: Chalk / blk trim/black roof. Blk wheels.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: So conflicted about color