Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Might be picking up a used Panamera S (first porsche ever).. a bit overwhelmed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:19 AM
NewShockerGuy
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Arrow Might be picking up a used Panamera S (first porsche ever).. a bit overwhelmed.

Welp, I've been a lurker on here for a couple years. I've always loved Porsches and it's one of those things that I over looked because I just felt like maintenance and or general ownership was probably way more than what I would be comfortable with.

My wife was hell bent on a Macan but after sitting in one (I'm 6'2") and realized that they are not that large and the back seats would not be able to haul anyone but a child along with the rear boot being small seems like a niche vehicle. I love how it looks don't get me wrong. It's quite nice. Just doesn't fit the practicality standpoint of our lifestyle.

With that said I started showing her Panameras and she really likes them. I've never been too keen on the rear styling but overall I think a 4 door saloon, better fits us in terms of practicality and room/comfort.

I found one at a dealer that seems to be a decent deal. Looks extremely nice and has service records. (I've attached the build spec's of it below as far as the options on it, pdk , heated seats...etc)

See link below of actual car:
http://midatlanticmotorwerkes.com/ve...&photoid=26573

This would be our first Porsche. Wouldn't be the first German car. We kinda of have a mix of things. Have an STi, Ford truck, Merc e350 (used to own a clk320), Toyota Solara, and two Triumph daytonas.

I do all of the work/upgrades on them. I've attached a picture of how I make do with a two car garage. I found out after owning our first Merc that if you don't have STAR/DAS (Mercedes specific software) you are up a creek for the majority of things. I spent $1k for the software/hardware and I think it's paid for itself many times over as far as me being able to code the car and change things without having to take it to the dealer, clear codes and in general diagnosis the car.
I can only assume Porsche has the same type of thing but does anyone here have such a thing or use it? I only ask because my uncle owns an older Porsche and everytime he takes it to the dealer he says it's about $500-700 for work, but he's 100% ok with this and doesn't care.

Realistically what are we looking at for maintenance, or problems. with a 2012 Panamera S?

I really think it would be a fun car, and I can only assume that the quality/craftsmanship is going to be on another level compared to what we own, but in the back of my mind is a daunting voice that keeps saying, this is going to cost you a lot. By the looks of the options added the previous own spent about $10k worth of upgrades? I'm on Porsche's configurator and it's overwhelming trying to figure everything out as far as if it has luxury/sport packages or figuring out the leather interior package. I know obvious things like PDK, 20" RS wheels PASM. But trying to build a new version now with the options doesn't seem to be working out for me...lol

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to get honest feedback and I know this is an excellent forum for real information where people won't sugar coat things :-)

Thanks,
-Nigel
Attached Images    
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Nice garage Nigel !

Adapative air suspension, high pressure fuel pump module/control (recall item) & coil packs were problematic on 1st gen. 970's.

Also the front suspension components had issues.
Adaptive air suspension allows u to lower the car-which is cool. But when it fails its complex & expensive to repair. The system tends to act up/malfunction (throw codes) in extreme cold temps.
Many owners complain of this problem.

I had all these items replaced at dealer out of warranty on my turbo except air suspension. I just live with the hassles only on extreme cold days.

It was a major bill. Plan on 1k every time a Panno goes to the dealer regardless of what they do.

Its a expensive car to maintain out of warranty.

They also depreciate like mad.
I have seen 1st gen. 4 & 4S's sell in the 40k range.
Keep looking for a 4S or turbo with "Sport Chrono" option , "Sport Exhaust option" & ventilated /ac seats. Those cars are more desirable. "Shadow line" trim option is desirable & takes away from the somewhat chunky roof line in the rear of the car.
Pannos also look sleeker in dark colors.

see pic for shadow line trim.

Good luck
Attached Images  

Last edited by RDS928S; 03-26-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:56 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

That is a very nice garage! As for basic maintenance on the Panamera, you should be able to handle it... oil change (every 10K miles), cabin filter (every 20K miles) and engine air filter (at 80K miles and requires removal of the front bumper). Search and there is another website that has DIY information specific to the Panamera. Durametric makes 2 versions of a diagnostic tool that will reset the service reminders and the "professional" version enables limited programming.

Your biggest expense will be tires. Summer performance tires last about 15K miles if you are not too harsh on them.

Last edited by dudecs; 03-24-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Additional info on tires.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:38 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Ur biggest expense will be replacing oem parts that fail.

Even plugs/oil/air filter will run well over 1k$ @ dealer.
best bet is to buy a CPO Porsche Panno.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:38 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Kudos for you garage. The panamera that you mention looks pretty good. I do have a 2010 4s since 4 years, and this is the best car we ever had. (Had many 911 during 30 years before that one. We also have 2011 cayenne turbo.) Sure, opinion are personal, but imo, air suspension is a must. I would not pick a panamera without it., coz this car is a GT, and a real miles eater. With the air suspension, it is a real flying carpet. I would also not pick a non 4 (!!!), for example, here in California, when we had sun for lots of days, and then suddenly rain, during the first minutes of rain, roads are like "iced"' imo, it is great to have 4wd, even if ..it is only "needed" few minutes per year !!! I would also get Sport Chrono, in order to have different handling program, pdk is the only thing I dislike with this car, and at least, with sport chrono you can select normal, (default mode), but also sport and sport plus. if you are in fighting mode, sport plus is a must, in normal mode, it feels a bit "underpowered" ! But again, ..this is personal. About the costs: if i read well you will have one year of full warranty, with a great road assistance, or just nothing to worry about it for the next year! It is a complex car, (i.e.: dfi, double shaft gearbox, lots of electronics, etc..) and lots of things can go wrong. i.e. in my case, both the ctt and the p4s had high pressure fuel pump failure. I think without warranty, this would not be great at all ! (Many "classic ones", well reported here, like front suspension bushings, coolant pipes, camshaft adapter bolts, etc.. ) Anyway, the largest "cost" is imo the depreciation. Tires are "normal", i.e. below 2k and then ok for 15k miles. ..who can complain for 15 cents a mile for the tires of this type of car ? (Depreciation is probably in the range of 1 bucks per mile, ..if you buy it used !) Gasoline is "peanut", as this car is incredibly efficient. i.e.: I can do 600 miles with 25 gallons, if i cruise easy on legal speed on freeway. In my opinion, on smile per mile, this is a real winner.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:58 PM
NewShockerGuy
Track Day

Arrow

Thanks guys for all the replies help!

So now this has drastically went a different route. We went to a local porsche dealer. Talked to them about a used Panamera... he showed us a 2015 GTS that is on the lot.

Test drove it...w0w.. I'm floored. I'm almost 100% sold on this thing. See link below:
https://www.porscheofarlington.com/d...hicleNumValXS=

Seems to have a lot of options as far as exterior color via carmine red, alcantara seats/interior. Has Sport, Sport +, active exhaust. Air suspension...etc. It's AWD so I guess that's good...lol He printed out a sheet for us and it showes that out of the 2015 porsche panamera GTS's they are at 92% of the market ranked 3 of 35 currently listed. Non are this color. Most are silver, back, white or gray. My wife and I love the red.. The interior is sweet with red stitching.

They are asking just shy of $81k. He said that's the lowest they will do, but my wife insists on a deal so she wants it for $80k..lol Honestly is that worth 80k? It's at 39,9** miles so it has 10k miles left on factory warranty or 1 year left, which ever comes first.
This was a one owner lease car.

I gotta admit this is the first porsche I have ever driven and in sport plus mode and up/down shifting I was smiling the entire time. The sound this makes is intoxicating. We have completely ruled out a Macan at this point. I sat in the back again and my head hits the roof... not acceptable to me. The only part I dislike about the panamera is the rear seats don't move/adjust which he said was normal? I felt like they needed to recline an inch or two to be a little more comfy, but I don't plan on being in the back, but mindful if we have people back there if it's going to be comfy for them or not.

My wife also enjoyed driving the car. It was funny because she was ready to just buy a base model of a "Porsche" base engine and I told her you won't like.. She didn't care about the engine but as soon as she punched the throttle in the GTS she just starts laughing.

I'm in awe of it honestly. :-) I'm still grinning from driving it just hours ago. I do think the wheels on the 2012 S are a lot nicer looking than what's on the GTS.

-Nigel

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 03-25-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:48 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this car still has a manufacturers warranty, you can obtain an after-market extension warranty through various insurers. In my case, I bought one through, of all sources, Costco. The insurer is Century Warranty Services and in my case is valid until 8/19. $500 ded, and 85,000 miles.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,322 Likes on 488 Posts

The GTS looks great! Carmine Red is the best colour! And you could always change the wheels, maybe when the tyres are due for replacement...! :-)

Stunning garage, by the way!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Get the GTS. It makes a standard S seem bland.

Also ask the dealer for the original 20 inch GTS wheels that it came with!!!

Those are not GTS wheels. Since its a red car the wheels were most likely black.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,322 Likes on 488 Posts

+1. Like these:

Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 AM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

been looking at these also... biggest difference between the two that I see (newer and higher level trim always nice).. but the 2015 is going to be a depreciation monster... just no way of getting around it.

factory warranty is certainly nice, but 10k isn't that much coverage. aftermarket eligible, yes... but 81 (or 80k) is a lot of dough for something that will one day be a sub $20k car.

depreciation isn't the biggest decision factor for a lot of folks... I'm just a cheapo.

Went to the P dealer yesterday to look at the new ones and a new 4s stickered at 123k.

too rich for my blood.

good luck with the decision. no doubt about it the red gts is a sweet, sweet ride.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,224 Likes on 480 Posts

Had a GTS, loved it-- sounds amazing, drives amazing. A few things:

1. if not CPO'd, have them do it or no deal. Would not want that out of warranty as 50k is around to corner. CPO is much better and cheaper then aftermarket. Also, if they wont CPO the car then theress a problem, so run!

2. as I said, used to have GTS for a DD, however now drive a Macan. Its also a blast, but much easier to navigate around town, park. also, I can put more kids in the back seats and carry more items in the back storage area. There is really not a lot of room in the back seats of the Panamera.

Good luck! I miss that V8 rumble.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:26 PM
NewShockerGuy
Track Day

Arrow

Thanks for more of the help!

I just pulled a little more information from the VIN and it appears that this was actually ordered with the 19" Panamera Design Wheels II.

Appreciate all the comments on the garage. I wish it was bigger but I try to make due with the space we have so it's important that everything has a place and it's neat/clean..lol

I don't believe this is CPO'd. I will call them tomorrow so we can discuss this. I will scan the sheet shortly on what they gave us regarding this gts and others out there.

Hopefully will find out more information and be able to update.

The dealer did say this came from a first person lease. In which they purchased it from the original dealer I guess after the person turned the car back in.

-Nigel
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 PM
RDS928S
Banned

U need new wheels.

Those 19's are dam ugly.

Negotiate a set form the dealer into the purchase price.

Keep the 19's for all season or snows.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Had a GTS, loved it-- sounds amazing, drives amazing. A few things:

1. if not CPO'd, have them do it or no deal. Would not want that out of warranty as 50k is around to corner. CPO is much better and cheaper then aftermarket. Also, if they wont CPO the car then theress a problem, so run!
Totally on point. Don't go, as we (at least in the Porsche world say) "naked". Extended warranty would be a bare minimum idea, but CPO would be a great idea. If you insist on that at the end of the negotiation, it won't happen I'll bet. I would look for alternatives, be willing to pay a little more for the car so you can sleep at night, or walk away and let them decide what to do.

Quick Reply: Might be picking up a used Panamera S (first porsche ever).. a bit overwhelmed.