Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

4S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:52 PM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4S vs GTS

Currently own a SUV (MB ML350) and am seriously considering a Panamera as a replacement. I live in Chicago so I'm leaning towards the AWD models. From a price standpoint I think I've narrowed it down to the 2014 4S vs. the 2013 GTS.

Anyone on this forum been in this situation? Is this even a fair comparison? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

8 cylinder NA engine in the GTS.
6 cylinder turbo engine in the 4S.

I would get the 2013 GTS.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:02 PM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
8 cylinder NA engine in the GTS.
6 cylinder turbo engine in the 4S.

I would get the 2013 GTS.
yes the more powerful engine is enticing. however, i'll mostly be driving in the city. was hoping there'd be owners out there might have an opinion based on things like comfort and handling in city conditions.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I just drove a 2013 GTS all over San Francisco. The streets are terrible, but it was comfortable in the GTS on the softest suspension setting. Steep hills with stop signs on every block required a lot of power to go up. I usually drive in Sport but changed to Sport Plus for the upward part of the hills. The 1st gear and higher revs made it super simple. And the hold function was really handy as well.

The size of the vehicle is really the only negative I can think of in a city.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:58 PM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
I just drove a 2013 GTS all over San Francisco. The streets are terrible, but it was comfortable in the GTS on the softest suspension setting. Steep hills with stop signs on every block required a lot of power to go up. I usually drive in Sport but changed to Sport Plus for the upward part of the hills. The 1st gear and higher revs made it super simple. And the hold function was really handy as well.

The size of the vehicle is really the only negative I can think of in a city.
that's great info. thanks. yeah i'm a little worried about the size but i'm already driving a SUV so i'm not overly concerned. i have a garage so not really street parking that often. thanks again for the advice.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The GTS is the way to go. Mount winter tires and absolutely the best traction available on any vehicle. I drive mine in the city and no problem. Yes, the hold function on hills is nice to have. No need to drive in Sport Plus unless tracking the car. Normal or Sport are responsive to throttle input. Highly recommend a CPO'd car. My PGTS is by far the best car I have owned, including my '15 991 TTS, which has been bulletproof and a monster on track. The PGTS really handles like a sports car, although it is obviously 1000 pounds heavier.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:16 AM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AndrewP
The GTS is the way to go. Mount winter tires and absolutely the best traction available on any vehicle. I drive mine in the city and no problem. Yes, the hold function on hills is nice to have. No need to drive in Sport Plus unless tracking the car. Normal or Sport are responsive to throttle input. Highly recommend a CPO'd car. My PGTS is by far the best car I have owned, including my '15 991 TTS, which has been bulletproof and a monster on track. The PGTS really handles like a sports car, although it is obviously 1000 pounds heavier.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to concentrate my efforts on a MY13 GTS. any must have options I should be looking for? I read on an older post about PDCC being necessary but it seemed to be the opinion of the OP only.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM
AndrewP
Pro

PDCC is a desirable option, but not essential to a satisfying driving experience. My CPO'd PGTS does not have PDCC or LED headlights and as nice as those features are in my 991 TTS, I do not miss them in my PGTS. I favor the GTS interior option and the sonar side warning lights, the option name of which escapes me, so consider those must-have options in a PGTS. The Alcantera seats and steering wheel are functional, attractive and distinctive IMO. They belong in a GTS, unlike all leather or wood trim, for example. FWIW, the instructors at the PSDS favor the PGTS over the turbo versions of the Panamera. Surprisingly, the Bose system in the PGTS is by far the best such system I have had and that includes MB's, Audi's and Porsche's. The Premium Package with keyless start is a must have.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:58 AM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

PDCC is a desirable option, but not essential to a satisfying driving experience. My CPO'd PGTS does not have PDCC or LED headlights and as nice as those features are in my 991 TTS, I do not miss them in my PGTS. I favor the GTS interior option and the sonar side warning lights, the option name of which escapes me, so consider those must-have options in a PGTS. The Alcantera seats and steering wheel are functional, attractive and distinctive IMO. They belong in a GTS, unlike all leather or wood trim, for example. FWIW, the instructors at the PSDS favor the PGTS over the turbo versions of the Panamera. Surprisingly, the Bose system in the PGTS is by far the best such system I have had and that includes MB's, Audi's and Porsche's. The Premium Package with keyless start is a must have.
Appreciate the in-depth replies. Just curious, what model year is your PGTS?
Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 PM
AndrewP
Pro

2013, as in my signature
Old 12-19-2015, 01:12 PM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

2013, as in my signature
Ah gotcha. When viewing forums on the mobile version of the site they omit signatures.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:39 PM
balazskontes
Intermediate

Panamera GTS by far! I picked up my recently, and there's no comparison between the two. Plus, I have a feeling that starting 2017 models, Porsche will phase out the naturally-aspirated V8 engine... and you want the naturally-aspirated V8 engine, trust me! The engine note/sound itself is all worth it!!!
Old 12-21-2015, 12:48 PM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by balazskontes
Panamera GTS by far! I picked up my recently, and there's no comparison between the two. Plus, I have a feeling that starting 2017 models, Porsche will phase out the naturally-aspirated V8 engine... and you want the naturally-aspirated V8 engine, trust me! The engine note/sound itself is all worth it!!!
nice! yeah i'm currently scoping out the MY13 CPOs available on Porsche Pre-owned Locator site.

assuming that your is used, do you have any tips on how you chose the one you ended up buying? did you go CPO or just used?
Old 12-21-2015, 12:54 PM
balazskontes
Intermediate

I went with new... Not sure that its still available, but one of the dealerships on Long Island has a "used" Panamera GTS with 254 miles that they're asking $106k. That was my back-up plan! If you're in the area, that would be a great deal!
Old 12-21-2015, 12:58 PM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by balazskontes
I went with new... Not sure that its still available, but one of the dealerships on Long Island has a "used" Panamera GTS with 254 miles that they're asking $106k. That was my back-up plan! If you're in the area, that would be a great deal!
ah gotcha. thanks for the heads up... a little more than what i'm wanting to spend but definitely something to consider.

Quick Reply: 4S vs GTS