Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

how reliable is the auto zone battery test?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015 | 08:20 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Default how reliable is the auto zone battery test?

Hi all,

How reliable is the autozone battery test and alternator? out of curiosity I went over to Autozone to get my battery/alternator tested because I noticed a very slight hesitation when cranking over, also I was listening to my engine note changing when I was turning side ways my steering wheel or my heated seats or windows up, the idle was dropping and picking up again and quick light engine vibration, also erratic idle
btw this is a 14 base Panamera with 12k miles
this morning before turning on the car, I think my A/C was on for maybe 10 sec and then the battery discharged display came up.

1st- NTB in the morning I was told, battery good but low on charge.
2nd- OReillyAuto- I was told the alternator failed
3rd- Autozone- I was told everything checked ok, the starter was failed.
4th firestone autocare- I was told everything is fine.
5th- Porsche Dealer won't even waste my time going there, always they come up with the BS that everything is normal as this are performance cars.

any help is much appreciated
Old 11-20-2015 | 11:57 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

My 4S battery failed after about 2 years, total failure. It was replaced on warranty.....Don't know about the source of autozone batteries.....I'd suggest an on line search of battery performance.
Old 11-21-2015 | 05:03 PM
solrac6262
Racer

not getting battery from them, just checking if that was the source of why I have some energy draining when I turned the heated seats or other stuff in the car, checked with my voltmeter and looks ok, not sure about alternator or starter
Old 11-21-2015 | 06:41 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

#1 Did NTB not do an Alt test? A low battery should be charged before it can be accurately checked. And if you drove it there it should have been charged!
#2 They're prol right. But it could be an intermittent or ancillary to other elec or "brains" prol.
#3 Atozon are usually good unless you get an idiot. I think you got an idiot becasue I was told they cant test a starter in situ because it must be spun to be load tested and fuel be cut off. etc...
If they read OBDII they may have caught a fault code that was thrown when it hesitated to start. Prol from the low battery which may or may not have been caused by a failing alternator.
#4 They dint check nuffin'?
#5 Wait till you need to flatbed it there
Old 11-26-2015 | 08:59 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
#1 Did NTB not do an Alt test? A low battery should be charged before it can be accurately checked. And if you drove it there it should have been charged!
#2 They're prol right. But it could be an intermittent or ancillary to other elec or "brains" prol.
#3 Atozon are usually good unless you get an idiot. I think you got an idiot becasue I was told they cant test a starter in situ because it must be spun to be load tested and fuel be cut off. etc...
If they read OBDII they may have caught a fault code that was thrown when it hesitated to start. Prol from the low battery which may or may not have been caused by a failing alternator.
#4 They dint check nuffin'?
#5 Wait till you need to flatbed it there

I did another test with a different auto zone location, the guy told me the alternator was having some issues, on his machine it was getting irregular voltage, not steady and the report, faulty alternator.. also from another parts store, same thing, when I started the car and they checked the Alt, the voltage was very low picking up also failed until like the third time he checked came back good

Quick Reply: how reliable is the auto zone battery test?