Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Opinion of this car? Looking....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:11 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion of this car? Looking....

Hi all,

I currently have a 997 but am thinking of selling it (on the fence). One of the cars I'm considering is a Panamera. I have been reading the forums and trying to learn the pros/cons and ins/outs. I have not yet driven one, but will make that a goal in the next week or two. Based on what I've read, there aren't really any "good" or "bad" years, and the "must have" options sound like: air suspension and sport chrono pkg (my 997 does not have sport chrono).

Given that information, my question for you.... what is your opinion of this car? Value, options, year, etc?

http://tinyurl.com/n3g748h

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Underpowered. Check out the 8 cylinder version prices to see if they're much different.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:46 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

It's a much bigger, heavier car, so you need more HP to get the same kind of oomph. Handling is quite good despite that, though of course it's not going to feel the same. Keep in mind it's essentially a luxury sedan. The emphasis may be much more on performance (particularly cornering) than its competitors, but it's also a much, much smoother ride than one of the Porsche coupes. Going between my wife's 981 Cayman S and my Panamera S e Hybrid is night and day in terms of ride.

Rear visibility is quite poor, so I'd say features that help compensate are vital. Namely the reversing camera and Lane Change Assist, which gives you some extra warning if someone is in your blind spot. I went with the Surround View camera and I'm glad I did.

I'd find anything less than the S underwhelming due to the weight, but not everyone feels the same way about various levels of power / weight.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:00 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 : Not a V6 !
(..Or you will get a GrandMa Tourer), particularly if you switch from a "911".

Ideally, go "S", and if possible GTS.

For the "must have", (it is for sure personal), but, I would say, Air Susp. and Sport Chrono plus (to have at least 3 different programs for PDK).
(I would tend to say that 4WD is a great plus, (included on GTS, together as Air Susp), but, this is the same as for a 997 !! i.e.: 2WD ..or 4WD ?)

I can say the the handling of a P4S with Air susp. is just fabulous. (I do not regret my 996 C4 Cab that I had for 11 years, but it is true that I bought a Boxster (S) ..to get back having a stick shift and have no roof ! Well, to be accurate, I should add that 30% of my Boxster miles, ..are track miles !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 04-04-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:11 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the GTS.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought a 2011 Pano 4 so its the 6. I have had 2 GT3's, a cup car and this car has ample power for me. I like the fuel economy, 500 mile range...
All about the right tool for the job. As my work car this is plenty of get up and go for me.
One thing that did bug me as soon as I took delivery was the 18" wheels. I replaced them with 20" Turbo II's. Otherwise its the right tool for the job
Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 AM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies... Will definitely inform my shopping plan. I'd like to stay in the mid $50k or lower if I can. Given that, it seems I might have to go back to 2010 or 2011 to get an S for that price. Are there any model years to avoid?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:27 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Excellent points

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
It's a much bigger, heavier car, so you need more HP to get the same kind of oomph. Handling is quite good despite that, though of course it's not going to feel the same. Keep in mind it's essentially a luxury sedan. The emphasis may be much more on performance (particularly cornering) than its competitors, but it's also a much, much smoother ride than one of the Porsche coupes. Going between my wife's 981 Cayman S and my Panamera S e Hybrid is night and day in terms of ride.

Rear visibility is quite poor, so I'd say features that help compensate are vital. Namely the reversing camera and Lane Change Assist, which gives you some extra warning if someone is in your blind spot. I went with the Surround View camera and I'm glad I did.

I'd find anything less than the S underwhelming due to the weight, but not everyone feels the same way about various levels of power / weight.
Lane change assist and back-up camera are worth getting. Also, try to get a CPO'd car. The Panamera really is a 4 door sports car that IMO rides and tracks much better on the highway than the A8, MB S Class and BMW 7 Series cars, to say nothing about cornering. I enjoy mine as much as my 991 TTS.

Quick Reply: Opinion of this car? Looking....