Panamera Turbo '10- buying used car

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Panamera Turbo '10- buying used car

Hello everybody!

At first, let me introduce myself- I am real Porsche enthusiast from Czech Republic. My passion for Porsches started when I was a child, I think I picked it up a little bit from my parents. My most favourite toy car was, as you can expect, 911 (996 GT3). When I was 18 and got my license (well, I started driving when I was 15, it was a microcar- special vehicle category here in EU, but that's a different story...) my father trained me to drive a manual sports car properly with our (lucky me! ) 911 996 GT3. Since then I have been driving (many and many) another cars, but (already sold) 911 stays in my heart and so passion for Porsches.

And this year, after starting a quite succesful business, I am close to fulfilling my dream of having my very own Porsche. I got really nice offer on a clean 2010 Panamera Turbo with 40k miles (with guarantee till May)

So, my questions are:

1. What about its fuel consumption? Is it possible to reach something between 22-24 mpg when driving really relaxed? As it's status quo here to drive 100 MPH in the fast lane, can I get more than 17mpg when driving still relaxed, but little bit faster?

2. How about Panameras realiability? I heard that especially "S" models suffer from some major engine problems, do these affect Turbo as well? I am aware that this is really complicated and delicate piece of machinery, so there's always probability of failure, but I really don't want to end up on a flatbed with blown out engine few days after the guarantees deadline. I'd like to mention that I am quite a careful driver and owner, so I obey the unwritten rules of driving a high-performance turbocharged car.

Thank You very much for your responses!

Yours Sincerely,
M.S., Prague

Last edited by Skuhi; 02-19-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:51 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 707 Likes on 316 Posts

2010 turbo is rated at 18/23 mpg.
Porsche updated front suspension parts since 2010 models suffered from numerous front end premature wear & noises etc.
Its around a 6k fix out of warranty.
Make sure the turbo your looking at has he updated bushings/suspension parts etc.

Also faulty HVAC blower motors are common in the front compartment. $800.00 fix.

Im having these items addressed currently @ Dealer.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not a fan of the EPA estimates of highway mileage when it comes to sports cars, since they don't do proper tests - they test it on a stationary platform with rollers under the wheels. Which is a correct test of the drive train, but they're not measuring air drag at all. They always get high figures, and then apply arbitrary correction factors to account for air drag. Which are often wildly off, particularly for cars with low coefficient of drag like Panameras.

For example, the EPA estimate of my Panamera S e Hybrid's highway MPG is 29, but I get about 35 at 60 MPH and 32 at 70 MPH.

That said, it's difficult to estimate what you're MPG will be if your highway speeds are routinely higher. At high speed, air drag outweighs almost everything else. Drag increases with the square of the wind velocity, and your distance covered increases linearly, so the net effect is a linear decrease in MPG with speed.

So if someone here is getting 25 MPG at 70 MPH, your can probably expect 17 MPG at 100 MPH. That's a back of the envelope calculation. I don't know what actual owner experience is - my S e Hybrid's fuel efficiency is rather higher than that of the PTT, and that's the only car I have actual hard numbers for.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with the info you have given i say pass on this deal
Old 02-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDS928S
2010 turbo is rated at 18/23 mpg.
Porsche updated front suspension parts since 2010 models suffered from numerous front end premature wear & noises etc.
Its around a 6k fix out of warranty.
Make sure the turbo your looking at has he updated bushings/suspension parts etc.

Also faulty HVAC blower motors are common in the front compartment. $800.00 fix.

Im having these items addressed currently @ Dealer.

Good luck.
Thank You very much for your useful answer! Is there any specific production month when the front suspension issue got updated?

Gus_Smedstad: Thank you for your answer! At least EPA is much closer to the reality than EU consumption cycle, which often states more than 40% better fuel economy.

Don't get me wrong, I am asking about the consumption not because of tight budget but because I already have experience of daily driving a car with MPG rate below 15 MPG on highway (driving really carefully, I would say "slow") and that gets really annoying after few days (Range Rover S/C).
Also, I think I have a quite nice reserve for maintenance of my potential new car, this is not gonna be the first used sportscar I bought.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:27 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 707 Likes on 316 Posts

Here is some info;
http://www.panameraclub.com/typical-...winter-coming/
Old 02-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Great website, thanks!

Thank you very much for all the answers, they're really useful. Some more useful owner experiences with Panamera turbo, anyone?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 PM
stpatsday
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

^
Check out 6speedonline.com. More active Panny owner forum. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Panamera Turbo '10- buying used car