Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera S Hybrid Charging Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:48 AM
jesseab
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera S Hybrid Charging Problems

Im about a month into owning a 2015 Porsche Panamera Hybrid S. Its a nice car but im having a real problem with getting over a 12 mile charge. When I purchased the car last month I was told to expect at least 22 miles a charge but im averaging 11.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Jesse
Old 02-18-2015, 02:44 AM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Is it real cold where you are?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

I am getting an average of 16 miles on my 2015 Cayenne SEH which is rated a few miles less the the pana.

As mentioned above it could be extreme cold or lead foot issues (if you are constantly up at the 40% mark on the throttle). I also notice large hills suck the life out of the battery. Do you have one of those on your daily route?

Also you mentioned that you "should get at least 22 miles" on a charge. That is definitely not the case. You may see 22 on a perfect drive (warm day, flat terrain, etc) but that would be the far end of the expected range. I would say 15-18 is normal.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Cold definitely affects range. I typically get 14 miles in city driving, 21 highway, but only if it's warm. With temperatures routinely in the 15-20 degree range, I've been getting more like 8 or 9.

Think of the battery as a tiny fuel tank. All the things that affect gas MPG affect electrical MPGe. City driving is less energy efficient than highway driving because of start-stop driving. You get some of that energy back when you brake, but not all. Particularly since you have to brake rather gently if you want to avoid using the regular brakes, which only convert your speed into waste heat.

Hills are similar, but not as bad. It's actually much easier to get the energy back going downhill, since you're just trying to keep your speed consistent, not brake to a stop.

Lead foot's not nearly the issue you might think, because electric motors are not gasoline engines. High acceleration is not intrinsically wasteful unless you're squealing the tires. However, gasoline drive trains have a variety of frictional costs associated with high RPM, particularly the energy cost to move large volumes of air. Electrical motors don't have those.

High speed can be an issue, because above 50 MPH wind drag is significant. Wind friction varies with the square of your velocity, so 70 MPH has 36% more wind drag than 60 MPH, and 80 MPH has 77% more. Of course you're also covering ground faster, so the net effect is a linear increase in energy cost per mile with speed.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 AM
fishpond
1st Gear

The most I get is 12-13 miles - which I believe is normal depending on climate and behavioural usage. It's worth noting that the E mileage reading is an estimate that takes into account your previous driving style, heating or a/c, heated seats usage etc.

I have managed to drive for 16 miles on one charge, but that was with the climate control off although it was a pretty hilly journey.

Quick Reply: Panamera S Hybrid Charging Problems